cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No AI in the browser

fl0id
Making moves

Please do not add AI in the browser as a core feature. If you want to experiment with various ways to use AI, please do it as an optional feature in the form of an addon or similar. Many people use FFX because it is not Edge or Chrome, and that necessitates sth like AI being optional.

9 REPLIES 9

Ejorenz
Making moves

I agree.

Firefox is supposed to be a privacy focused browser. Now the new CEO wants to integrate AI because he sees everyone else doing it? That doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Nor do I see how that brings a better product to the user.

I don't use Edge or Chrome because I'm against Google and Microsoft using my personal data to train their AI. I dumped Windows 11 and switched to Mint for the same reason. If Mozilla plans to do the same then I will seek out other options. 

Mizar
Familiar face

I second that motion.

Gamoc
Making moves

If you put AI in your browser you will destroy your user base. After all the constant complaints about AI being implemented absolutely everywhere and how privacy is being compromised constantly you decide that's a good idea? 

Clearly the problem is good completely out of touch the people meeting the decisions are. No surprise since you added ads to it long ago but I thought there's be a limit to the incompetence. 

Mizar
Familiar face

AI is a new arms race, a new power that should not be wielded by anyone.

I agree. NO AI.

I don't use Edge or Chrome because I'm against Google and MS using my personal data to train their AI. I will certainly find a mozilla replacement if they integrate AI as well.

BaconMacAndChee
Making moves

100%. So-called artificial intelligence exacerbates inequality and accelerates climate change, with no real benefit for humanity. And the industrial-grade bull**bleep** machines known as "generative ai" are like the latest vanguard, threatening to divide us even further. AI is a bubble, and chasing after it is NOT a human-centric product strategy. Ideally, Mozilla would resist this temptation and not waste any resources on AI.

If AI comes to Firefox, I will be looking for another browser, full stop. Mozilla, if you insist on shoveling this trash into Firefox, respect your users and make it purely opt-in.

Mizar
Familiar face

Normally I tend not to agree with posts of inflamatory nature but in this case I open an exception.

WildThing
Making moves

Everyone in this thread sounds like the Luddites destroying the cotton gin to avoid progress, due to real, but inevitable concerns it posed.

Those who shun AI are doomed to be overwhelmed by it.

Go use GPT to write a song (you don't care about copyrighting) or have a conversation on a topic your friends aren't educated on. You'll see, the Chicken Little scenarios aren't necessarily founded.

Also, people turning on Mozilla after decades of trust due to them again being innovative in the industries they are known for, is bizarre to me. They would fall behind without investing in this oncoming technological transition.

If you don't realize they will do their best to maintain the stellar security they are already known for, and provide optional implementation, you're not deserving of their amazing app to begin with.

The. Sky. Is. Not. Falling. =:xB

The issue for me is there is no choice to the end user.  It is a heavy handed...YOU WILL ACCEPT AI IN THE PRODUCT YOU USE...people don't like. Its a tired narrative, but I did switch to a linux distro as my daily driver to get away from m$ft copilot. Sure, one can "disable" copilot right now, but what happens when that option is removed, as will eventually and inevitably happen?  Further, I recently opened a search page through google on my cell phone and the WHOLE results page was AI generated summaries...which is not what I searched for.  I wasn't looking for anything close to the summaries.  It was a waste of my time to figure out how to disable generative ai in searches (also with results generated by the generative ai).  I'm perfectly willing to have ai, I want it on MY terms tho.  make it 100% removable from the program.  Not something you disable.  100% removable with no trace of integration.  Then I can decide when I want to utilize that feature, if ever.

People are turning on mozilla because it is one of the last bastions that is away from the prying eyes of alphabet, meta, m$ft, (among others) and they are watching it turn into the very thing they sought refuge from.  I think people will come around on ai eventually.  Personally, I'm fine with ai existing as a tool to opt-in to.  What i would really like to avoid is to have an "ai" "respond" to me when I never willingly initiated its use. If its a standalone program that can integrate with firefox, awesome.  If it is going to be baked in to the browser with no real way to remove it (not disable, remove), then i'm afraid people will realize there is really no distinction among the browsers any more and will just stick with a chromium product.