cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New version of Thunderbird

rob_wildman
Making moves

Having been a Thunderbird user for many years, I was very pleasantly surprised by the look and feel of the new version (Supernova). I think you have all done a fabulous job of the new presentation and it also looks like a lot of work has gone into it - so thanks very much. I am also one of your regular donors so I doubly appreciate what you do.

7 REPLIES 7

NGFred
Making moves

Greetings,

Sorry to say, but the new version is a no-go for us.

Our entire staff is disappointed, the new interface is terrible : Font change makes it really less readable, even the new filter bar is really wrong (location, etc).

We cannot of course downgrade to previous version without installing from scratch, this will simply be a farewell to Thunderbird.

Thanks

Hi NGFred,

Sorry to hear that you are all disappointed. I have Tbird running on three computers, one Windows 11 and the other two Ubuntu (of course different versions) and I think they made the transition to the new version quite simple and easy. But I can see its not for everyone. Given the amount of work done under the bonnet, I will wait to see the benefits over time, I suspect.

CondoGhost
Making moves

SpecSavers for your rob_wildman, the look and feel of this is new version is marmite and if we don't like it then we really ought to be provided the option to revert to the previous look and feel.

Worst upgrade ever dumped on us as a 'take it or leave it'!

Guido
Making moves

Yes, I can see a lot of work, but for me it's a downgrade.

The "file edit view..." toll bar should always be at the top.  It's not right for it to be under another bar.

Not sure why the quick filter reduces the interface as it pops open a new bar.  Before it was on the same line.   So it's reducing my view.

Sort order is often out of line when sorting by date.  I get something like this:

Guido_0-1695105954592.png

mara1618
Making moves

To be honest, the upgrade for me is still ongoing and is a nightmare.  It's not about the change in features, it's that that v115 seems intent on losing my emails.  On first opening v115 I couldn't access any emails at all.  That only went away when i was told to upgrade to a later version of v115.

Now I have another situation where emails are disappearing.

A new look I can cope with (probably reluctantly - for someone who HAS been to Specsavers the text still looks might small)  But I can't cope with emails "disappearing".  I'm now trying to work out how to go back to v102, and either wait for a while before I try upgrading again, or, after more than 10 years of mostly uneventful Thunderbird use, look for another email client.  I'm a mixture of angry and disappointed that this has been forced on me by software that seems not to have been well enough tested.

For a change this big, that is part of the automatic update stream, I think there should have been an easy way of reverting to v102. 

Rob, I'm happy that it's gone so well for you.  Sadly some of us haven't been so lucky!

I thought it was a problem on my side. I have been waiting for a reply a whole afternoon with no success, and once at home on release 102, I discovered the email arrived several hours before...

hatchhozzen
Making moves

I have found Firefox has certain quirks also. Not the "shaking issue" you experienced, but is always just slow to load anything, and YouTube videos take forever to start playing compared to browsers such as Chrome or Edge. The only reason I have stuck with Firefox is because it's the only browser where video does not "jitter" (appears to drop frames) especially in YT. Chrome does this if I maximize to full screen or pop-out a "pic in pic" window and resize it to more   irving pdr repair   than half monitor screen size. For all its bells and whistles Firefox is not as great as many people make out. I am quite disappointed with it actually and if I find a solution to this "video jitters" I will swap back to Chrome.................................