cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links in Instagram

monophoto
Making moves

I have Firefox set such that clicking a link opens a new tab rather than a new window.  That is, a simple left click on a link immediately opens the link in a new tab.  This seems to work as expected on all sites except

Recently, I've noticed that when on the Instagram site, left-clicking triggers no response at all - no new tab, and no new window.  A right click on the link reveals the usual menu that offers the option to open the link target in either a new tab or a new window.  And in either the new tab or the new window, a simple left click opens new tabs. 

Is this normal?

3 REPLIES 3

jscher2000
Leader

Hi monophoto, which kind of link has the problem? When I click the "link in bio" I get a new tab automatically, but when I click on a photo, the page generates an overlay within the current tab instead of showing it in a new window or tab.

Maybe some confusion over Instagram terminology here - - -  I consider anything that I can click on to link to some other page to be a 'link'.  That includes photos posted on Instagram. 

Random example - the Instagram page for @osticampinas.

I can do a simple left-click on the link in the biomonophoto_0-1719587583404.png and Firefox takes me to the web site named in the link.  But nothing happens if I left-click on the images posted on that page.  Instead, if I right-click on an image, I get the popup that offers the option to either open the image in a new tab or open it in a new window. 

monophoto_1-1719587769574.png

As far as I can tell, this behavior is new.  I thought that simple left clicks in FireFox automatically opened the link in a new tab, and a right-click would offer other options.

If I use Chrome rather than FireFox, left-clicking on a posted image opens a new tab showing only that image.  That's the way that I recall FireFox doing it, but I can't say when the change occurred.

@monophoto wrote:

But nothing happens if I left-click on the images posted on that page.  Instead, if I right-click on an image, I get the popup that offers the option to either open the image in a new tab or open it in a new window.

If I use Chrome rather than FireFox, left-clicking on a posted image opens a new tab showing only that image.  That's the way that I recall FireFox doing it, but I can't say when the change occurred.

Wow, for me, clicking any image shows it in a overlay in front of the page (image on the left, comments on the right, previous and next buttons on the sides) in the same tab. I can't tell whether there is an Instagram setting that is different between us, or -- do you use any add-ons that might modify how the links in the page work?