cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keyboard induced tab/browser suicide.

ElonJMusk123456
Making moves

When using firefox one has to be careful not to kill the browser,commenting and miss typing can result in the tab or browser being terminated,eg pressing ctrl & a would close the bad WITH NO WARNING!

I would like to point out it is not possible to just turn off the 70s era method of controlling a GUI html interface,i wish this was just common idiocy from the makers of this pile of trash,but it really is how they make joke browsers like this,TURN OFF THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS KEYS AS STANDARD,is that clear?

I have searched and found there is no direct way to do this,please leave this kind of stupid boneheaded lunatic thinking to Linux as that camp of twonks use 100 keyboard shortcuts in their backward fantasy world OS,and yes they are complete and utter useless idiots like you too.

4 REPLIES 4

sepneg
Making moves

I have the same problem.  Shortcuts have changed!!

b-k
Making moves

I'm still a long way from @ElonJMusk123456 's ability to use software entirely via mouse, so I appreciate the keyboard shortcuts and do think they should stay on by default. But I will say that I panic a little when I accidentally close a window with an embarrassing number of open tabs. Yes, I know that there's a keyboard shortcut to reopen the last-closed window and all its tabs (ctrl+shift+N), but it's easy to forget and I feel like I'm about to lose data (the list of tabs) until the window is back up.

Perhaps a reasonable middle-ground would be a warning pop-up when closing a window with multiple tabs via keyboard shortcut. The text of the warning could even remind users that closing a window can be undone, by those backward individuals willing to stoop to keyboard shortcuts, via ctrl+shift+N.

@b-k wrote:

Perhaps a reasonable middle-ground would be a warning pop-up when closing a window with multiple tabs via keyboard shortcut. The text of the warning could even remind users that closing a window can be undone, by those backward individuals willing to stoop to keyboard shortcuts, via ctrl+shift+N.

Firefox has some warning options, but perhaps people complained that they didn't want to see them so often so some of them were turned off by default and the user has to enable them (which -- how would you know?). It's probably a good idea to change the default but have an option to "Do not show me this in the future."

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste warnon and pause while the list is filtered

Firefox should list about 7 preferences.

(C) Double-click the browser.tabs.warnOnClose preference (or click the toggle button at the right end of the row) to switch the value from false to true

(D) Double-click the browser.warnOnQuitShortcut preference (or click the toggle button at the right end of the row) to switch the value from false to true

At this point, everything on the list should be set to "true".

jscher2000
Leader

@ElonJMusk123456 wrote:

When using firefox one has to be careful not to kill the browser,commenting and miss typing can result in the tab or browser being terminated,eg pressing ctrl & a would close the bad WITH NO WARNING!

I would like to point out it is not possible to just turn off the 70s era method of controlling a GUI html interface,i wish this was just common idiocy from the makers of this pile of trash,but it really is how they make joke browsers like this,TURN OFF THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS KEYS AS STANDARD,is that clear?

I've used keyboard shortcuts since the 80s because there was no graphical user interface in those days, and I still use them on Windows 11. But I digress; you should upvote this idea if you haven't already:

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/customizable-hotkeys/idi-p/4979