cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue using Mac OS Sonoma 14.0 and Firefox when hovering the mouse on pages

megalox
Making moves

Hi there,

I've got an issue with Firefox and hovering the mouse on links, whenever I try to hover the mouse I'd expect the hand icon to appear, however the pointer blinks and it's difficult to click on links.

I've tested this on the latest version of Firefox and also Safari, curiously enough this doesn't happen on Safari or other browsers, such as Chrome.

I've recorded some videos, but haven't got an account (yet)

22 REPLIES 22

megalox
Making moves

Update: This issue is reproducible using the MAC Bluetooth magic mouse. However... if I use the trackpad, the issue isn't present. So this has been isolated to Firefox and Magic mouse... it doesn't happen on Safari or Chrome with neither Magic mouse nor trackpad

Safari test case attached

RJameson
Making moves

I agree to this post, happening to me as well - drives you nuts you cannot pick anything w/o click and hope.

megalox
Making moves

Update: Now it happens with both mouse and trackpad

RJameson
Making moves

Thought it went away w/latest FF & Sonoma - but nope, still happening.   Found another post on adobe - similar issue - smells like this is an Apple issue as it crossed over from FF to other apps.   Or, some code in how a page is rendered perhaps...I am no programmer.

Hi there,

Yes I'm still having the issue, curiously enough I'm not seeing this with any other app, but firefox... so that's why I'm wondering what's going on with the browser and the version of MAC OS. Thanks for sharing 🙂

ralf1234
Making moves

On my MBP it happens, if a firefox window showing a youtube page is set to fullscreen.

MarcTremblay
Making moves

This happens to me under Firefox v120.0 and macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 after a few hours to a full day of work.  It seems like a memory leak or something related to using Firefox over the course of a few hours (EDIT: it's not).  Rebooting fixes the issue, but it's annoying as F when you're working.

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/issue-using-mac-os-sonoma-14-0-and-firefox-when-hovering-...

Hi, thanks for the follow-up. I've tried to Force Quit Firefox and it did the trick... so you could try that and it will save you some time rebooting 🙂

MarcTremblay
Making moves

I just found the exact way to replicate this issue BTW.  It's very simple:

1) Launch Firefox and go to any website that has links or elements that you can test the glitch upon.

2) Hit CMD-N or go to the menu: FILE > NEW WINDOW.

3) In this new window, load GOOGLE.COM (or any website basically)

4) Go back to the other window by going to the menu: WINDOW > Whatever other window...

5) The glitch happens if you mouse hover any link or button.

Is anybody at Mozilla working on this?

EDIT: And it's worth mentioning that when this occurs, all one has to do is close the other window and the glitch disappears.  That's why rebooting or re-launching Firefox "fixes" the glitch.

einarj
Making moves

+1 on this.

I'm running Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81) on an Macbook Pro (M1 Max) using trackpads (both external as well as the one built into the Macbook Pro. This bug occurs both in Firefox (currently version 120.0.1 (64-bit)) and Firefox Developer Edition (currently version 121.0b9 (64-bit)).

The impact of this bug renders the browser unusable for me for the time being, especially for web development. This has required me to reluctantly switch back to Chrome until this is fixed.

MarcTremblay
Making moves

This is a macOS Sonoma bug.  I've experienced this in Firefox since day 1 using my iMac M3 from early November on 2 different macOS Sonoma versions.  I will be updating to a third version (14.2) later today and will report if it fixes it, but I'm glad that it's not a Firefox bug.  It's a macOS Sonoma bug.  I hope Apple gets their S together quickly, as it's annoying as F.  Non-Firefox users are experiencing the same bug: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/17p415c/macos_sonoma_mouse_hover_bug_most_annoying_update/

BTW: Might be related to this macOS Sonoma bug (or not) but I've also experienced something frustrating when trying to cycle through Firefox windows.  When the hover glitch happens, if I do the key combo CMD-OPT-^ it does not cycle through Firefox windows so I have to manually go with the mouse and pull down Window > and choose the window I want to go to.

gegi
Making moves

I had the same problem updating only today (26.12.23). After the Firefox windows from previous sessions opened, they stayed inaccessible, but I could open an new window and work as normal.

Whe I tried to open Outlook (the icon next to Firefox in the Dock), it didn't work. Closing Outlook freed up all Firefox windows/ tabs again. Reopening Outlook cause no problem. Everything works normal now.

I wonder, if reopeing apps at startup messes something up.

For anyone being affected by this bug, it appears that turning off "Click wallpaper to show desktop" in Settings should fix it.

megalox
Making moves

Hey there,

Update: I've updated MAC OS to Sonoma 14.3 and have been testing this morning and no issues with Firefox as for now.

RJameson
Making moves

I am on the latest Sonoma - still having issue, also when I turn off Click wallpaper to show desktop, no change that I can see.

megalox
Making moves

Another update, this isn't resolved. I've still got the issue

johndelove
Making moves

Same here. Although, it only seems to be present on the right third of  my 4K monitor. When moving the firefox window to the left side or to the built-in monitor, this does not happen. It also does not happen on all websites… 🤔

JozefS
Making moves

Still happening with the recent macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 (8th Feb. 2024). And indeed the disabling (set to "Only in Stage Manager") and then re-enabling the "Click wallpaper to show desktop" seems to fix the issue for some time (do not know how long).

fetis
Making moves

What also helps me is to resize the browser window several times. After that the bug disappears

Hi there, you're right. This is a quick workaround; I've tried resizing one time and it worked.

Oh well, at least something to try out 😉

Thank you for your feedback!

megalox
Making moves

Hi all,

I've been doing more tests with other things and tried the workarounds described in this thread. However, it's frustrating that those work temporarily. However, I've tried something else and so far it's somehow working better. I do appreciate the effort on those contributions and I hope that this approach works on your end.

I've enabled the wayland setting on Firefox.

What is it?

https://www.howto-connect.com/enable-wayland-support-firefox/

How I did it?

I went to the address bar (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/about-config-editor-firefox) and typed about:config

I've written wayland on the search bar and set it to true (in my case I've clicked on the + button)

This has been working good for me so far, I'm not sure about long term. When the issue appears again, I switch windows and it's working fine again. 

Let me know if this works on your side if you want to give it a try.

Cheers