cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Firefox more of a data logger than a web browser?

WisQuestioning
Making moves

Why is it that FireFox wants to download everything into some obscure folder instead of the folder I want to file to go into?  (Namely: run/user/1000/doc/xxxxxxx/{long list of folders}).

This usually happens when I want to save the file directly to a flash drive without saving to the hard drive.  If the file is deleted from the obscure folder before the flash drive is removed, the file is also deleted instead of leaving it on the flash as intended.

Seems like the folders are being used as a KEYLOGGER more than just an intermediary stop before moving to the flash drive.

It seems to have started when the Mint version of FireFox started misbehaving and FLATPAK was required  to make certain files function as expected.

Can someone clear up why the intermediary folders are necessary (needed, wanted, required) in the first place?  It would be ever so helpful.  Perhaps we should all abandon Mozilla products and opt for something less intrusive.

7 REPLIES 7

jscher2000
Leader

When you configure Firefox to "Always ask you where to save files", Firefox starts downloading the file immediately while it waits for you to select the ultimate destination directory. Firefox 98+ uses the "Save files to:" directory set on the Preferences page for this purpose unless you set it to use the system /tmp folder instead (like Firefox 97 and before). But whether you keep the default temp location or switch it by setting browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir => true in about:config, Firefox should not be using a completely random folder in the middle of nowhere as a temp folder.

Note: the above is based on my understanding of the builds you can download from Mozilla. When a distro packages its own builds, they sometimes modify how Firefox works.

What, if anything, does this have to do with the question asked?  If you don't know anything about the query, ihmo, your should refrain from muddying the waters by talking about things other that the actual subject.  TYVM!

@WisQuestioning wrote:

What, if anything, does this have to do with the question asked?

Your question was about the folders Firefox uses when you download a file:

(1) "Why is it that FireFox wants to download everything into some obscure folder instead of the folder I want to file to go into? (Namely: run/user/1000/doc/xxxxxxx/{long list of folders})."

(2) "Can someone clear up why the intermediary folders are necessary (needed, wanted, required) in the first place?"

Try changing the settings I mentioned to see whether those are controlling the intermediate/temporary folder, or not.

After looking at my initial rant, you do need  more information.

I have had the default folder set to ask each time for more years than the flatpak has been misbehaving and set up and verified after each upgrade or when I think there is something funny going on, which is happening more often lately than I feel a mature program should should require.

I have both the flatpak version and the Mint version of Firefox installed on Mint 21.1 (Neither Firefox version allows me to do it all like it used to.) Firefox Mint crashes when I try to download things like statements. It also does not allow me to work in some sites. (I need to change to flatpak version to use these sites and even view statements.)

When asking to save a file, the flatpak version suggests the obscure folder to put that file in every time, even after I have told it to us a specific folder on the attached flash drive. It continually reverts to the obscure folder buried deep in the "system files" tree. (See example above). I need to change the folder each time I download files to the flash drive folder I want to use for storage, or go looking for it after the download in order to copy it. {Extra added steps especially when saving the file with a different name.} (If I move it or eject the flash drive without copying it, all copies are lost.)

With the Mint version of Firefox, once I set the folder I want the files to go into, the suggested folder remains constant with no further change to the folder on the flash drive required, (making renaming the files much easier and more efficient).

If using only the Mint version, I can "safely eject" the flash drive without issues. However, after using the flatpak version just once, it says the drive cannot be ejected because it is being used by another program. (I have already shut down all other programs except Mint.) I eject anyway (After several attempts to "safely eject) and have occasionally had issues with the files on the flash drive, because of it?

{mozilla flatpak - 1.0
116(64bit) }

{Mozilla Firefox for Linux Mint
mint-001 - 1.0
115.0.2(64bit)}

My question is, why is this happening and how can it be corrected so either one version or the other works for ALL processes instead of bouncing back and forth between them. (I need to shut down Firefox each time I want to use the other version because both versions will not fun at the same time.)

What else do you need to know to help fix this?

[[[Frustrated enough to start looking at other browsers.]]]

@WisQuestioning wrote:

Firefox Mint crashes when I try to download things like statements. It also does not allow me to work in some sites. (I need to change to flatpak version to use these sites and even view statements.)

If you are getting the Mozilla Crash Reporter, Firefox may have recorded useful information about the cause of the crash. More info in this article: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/firefox-crashes-asking-support

When asking to save a file, the flatpak version suggests the obscure folder to put that file in every time, even after I have told it to us a specific folder on the attached flash drive. It continually reverts to the obscure folder buried deep in the "system files" tree. (See example above). I need to change the folder each time I download files to the flash drive folder I want to use for storage, or go looking for it after the download in order to copy it. {Extra added steps especially when saving the file with a different name.} (If I move it or eject the flash drive without copying it, all copies are lost.)

Hmm, usually when you have Firefox set to ask you where to save a file every time, it also should remember the last used folder on a per-site basis and suggests that folder. (That doesn't work in private windows because Firefox doesn't record this information to disk.)

Could you look at these preferences in about:config (you can use download*dir as your query to filter the list):

• browser.download.dir => this is the default "Save files to" folder -- does this have a weird value?
  • browser.download.lastDir => normally, this is the last folder Firefox saved a file to, so it may be used as a suggestion when you are saving from a site for which Firefox has not saved a site-specific folder -- does this have a weird value?
  • browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir => as mentioend previously, this controls the temporary folder using to start downloading while you are choosing the folder you actually want to use

If using only the Mint version, I can "safely eject" the flash drive without issues. However, after using the flatpak version just once, it says the drive cannot be ejected because it is being used by another program. (I have already shut down all other programs except Mint.) I eject anyway (After several attempts to "safely eject) and have occasionally had issues with the files on the flash drive, because of it?

I don't know why this problem is occurring. After the download has completed and the .part file is cleaned up, Firefox shouldn't be using the folder. Unless a download is open in a tab somewhere. To double-check that, you can type or paste %file in the address bar to filter for tabs that be displaying local files.

If there's no explanation, it's worth filing a new bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

My question is, why is this happening and how can it be corrected so either one version or the other works for ALL processes instead of bouncing back and forth between them. (I need to shut down Firefox each time I want to use the other version because both versions will not fun at the same time.)

Two separate installations can run at the same time if they are using two different profiles. But after you launch one Firefox in a particular profile folder, then the second Firefox will be locked out of that profile folder.

But I should say that I do not know whether there are differences between the Flatpak Firefox and a regular Firefox from Mozilla's site. You may get better responses from other Linux users on the replacement for r/Firefox, which is https://fedia.io/m/firefox/ or on Mozilla Support (new question form: https://mzl.la/3y1vQUQ).

Trying here because on reply returned as "Could not find"  Anyway.  I reinstalled Firefox (both) after upgrading to Mint 21.2.  It seemed to be OK at the time but then I synced with Firefox to get my passwords and bookmarks back.  Then Firefox Flatpak ver started acting up again.  I removed all my extensions except Ghostery, now we are back to functional?  I need a Saturday to determine if things are back to normal.  Then I will go through my extensions and see which one caauses what.  Thanks again for your help in tracking this down.

W

WisQuestioningO
Making moves

Sorry for the delay in responding to this question.  I solved it by removing Firefox and installing Waterfox.  It seems to be able to do what Firefox used to without all the added unpleasantness of Firefox.

I reinstalled Firefox several times and thought the problem went away but as soon as I SYNCed, the problems came back.  (Something in the SYNCing process? Or the downloaded file?)  Never did figure it out.  The suggested folder appeared every time I wanted to save a .pdf from some site and kept suggesting the same folder even after I changed it to the folder I wanted the file to go in.

Also, every time I used the flatpack version, something kept the flash drive from being ejected by keeping something busy.  Now all those problems are gone.  I used to be a Firefox advocate, now it will be ANYTHING BUT.

Thanks for all your help and if I need to tag the question resolved or anything else, please let me know.

(I also had trouble making the connection to y'all while using Firefox. FYI)

Thanks again.

WisQuestioning