cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've set downloads to go to desktop, but they still go to Downloads.

mysteriouscrap
Making moves

105.0.2 (64-bit) When I try to download a file from the web, it still goes to the Downloads folder despite my Settings being set to Desktop.  And no I don't want it to ask every time.  It always used to work, what's up now? Is Windows overriding Firefox?

4 REPLIES 4

jacindazs
Making moves

I have the same problem! I have set my file download so that the browser always asks me where I want to save the data. Instead, it AUTOMATICALLY saves everything straight to my downloaded files. And it makes ABSOLUTELY NO difference what I have set! I've tried re-clicking it several times, but no change. Downloads is full of crap and files I've searched for or saved twice. Who asked for, say, a PDF to automatically open for me?

I don't have this problem on CHROM!

jscher2000
Leader

@mysteriouscrap wrote:

105.0.2 (64-bit) When I try to download a file from the web, it still goes to the Downloads folder despite my Settings being set to Desktop.  And no I don't want it to ask every time.  It always used to work, what's up now? Is Windows overriding Firefox?

Firefox still should follow your "Save files to:" setting when saving files. Normally Windows doesn't care unless there is a permission problem restricting where an application can save. But I don't know why it would have an issue with the Desktop (same user, same permission?).

If you temporarily change the "Save files to:" setting to your Documents folder, can Firefox save there?

Thank you for the idea.  Although that did not work, I think I have found a workaround:

1) Set the "Save files to" to to "Desktop."

2 Further down, under "Applications" toggle ON "Ask whether to open or save files"

3) Save something [not in the apps list above] and navigate to Desktop

4) Toggle OFF "Ask whether to open or save files"

It seems the browser will remember Desktop as the default now.

BAH I spoke too soon.  It's back to saving the Downloads folder.  Must be a bug.