cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the 3 dot menu on Firefox Suggest drop down items

ang
Making moves

At some point recently, a 3 dot menu item has been added next to all Firefox Suggest items in the address bar drop down menu.  This doubles the number of tabs required for me to navigate a menu that's supposed to exist to make it faster to use.

I have to say that, overall, the number of intrusive, anti-user features that Mozilla has been introducing in the last few years is starting to reach a tipping point and I'm starting to eye other browsers.

How do I disable this annoying, anti-feature?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

novenary
Making moves

This bothered me too, so I grabbed mozregression to figure out when it was introduced. This menu was enabled in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1811870, and a preference to exclude it from the tab order was added in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1813517. You can read discussion in the latter ticket for an explanation of why it is this way.

Now for what we were both looking for: in about:config, flip browser.urlbar.resultMenu to false to remove the three-dot menus entirely, or browser.urlbar.resultMenu.keyboardAccessible to simply prevent the tab key from selecting it. I went with the latter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

novenary
Making moves

This bothered me too, so I grabbed mozregression to figure out when it was introduced. This menu was enabled in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1811870, and a preference to exclude it from the tab order was added in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1813517. You can read discussion in the latter ticket for an explanation of why it is this way.

Now for what we were both looking for: in about:config, flip browser.urlbar.resultMenu to false to remove the three-dot menus entirely, or browser.urlbar.resultMenu.keyboardAccessible to simply prevent the tab key from selecting it. I went with the latter.

excellent. works. for now. there was a win11 registry hack to put the toolbar on top of the screen. they "fixed" that by forcing THEIR value (the bottom) 😞

still, a more accesible option in settings would be good for Firefox, and in keeping with their ease of use policy. the menu is just to rm that link from your suggestions list and there are other ways to do that. i was wondering why when i tabbed i still got my first pick. hey, at that point i'm in typing mode (the URL) so the tab key is lots closer than the mouse, and two tabs per pick is just sickening.

ang
Making moves

This is one of the very rare times that posting online has actually resulted in a direct, usable response.  Thank you!  Although, I note today that the menu is gone from all my firefox installs.  It'd be really nice if Mozilla would stop crowdsourcing their QA and product design.

For what it's worth, it seems this is only enabled by default in Nightly at the moment, maybe that explains it? The menu is definitely still present in the latest build.

davidkarlsson
Making moves

This "feature" is now enabled by default in v113.01. So if you tab after having entered a character in the navigation bar you have to tab twice to go to the next suggestion but if you don't enter a character you only have to tab once. Genius UX! Thanks for ruining my muscle memory Mozilla.

Fortunately you can still disable this change with the preferences @novenary listed. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before they remove the ability to configure it though. 😟

@davidkarlsson wrote:

Fortunately you can still disable this change with the preferences @novenary listed. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before they remove the ability to configure it though. 😟

This is unlikely. It's a minor UI feature, not a major redesign, so there is no maintenance burden to keeping the option, and there's a lot of hidden preferences that remain for this reason. browser.urlbar.resultMenu.keyboardAccessible was even added upon request, so I don't see why that would be removed.

jjjjyyyy
Making moves

browser.urlbar.resultMenu.keyboardAccessible set to false

works in v115