cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Sync Causing 3 Years of History Loss

Airofoil
Making moves

Very sadly I just lost three years' worth of browse history in Firefox. This loss is quite significant for me because I relied on it as a record of important sites, where I've been, and information I’ve accumulated over time. Ironically or criminally, Firefox also asked me to restart it to finalise an update, which I then did.

Is there any way to recover the places.sqlite file from somewhere?

I think what could have happened (I'm guessing) was I unknowingly or unintentionally had 'Clear history when Firefox closes' enabled on my mobile app, which synced the setting when I signed into Firefox Sync on my desktop.

My favicon cache has also been deleted which is also an accompanying annoyance.

I want to suggest some things to prevent this from happening to others:

1. Warning Notification: A warning when enabling the 'Clear history when Firefox closes' option, and/or a notification upon closing the browser would remind users that this action will permanently delete their history
  2. Automatic Backups: An automatic backup feature of Firefox Profile data, or at the very least, a 'bin' directory for overwritten data files
  3. Restore Options: A way to restore deleted history from local cache or temporary files, or temporary lockfiles of files like places.sqlite, favicons.sqlite and session-store backups
  4. Better Firefox Sync Features: Improving Sync to better make users aware of settings that could impact their local data or even offer compressed encrypted storage options on the cloud

1 REPLY 1

carlaprice
Making moves

Hi Airofoil, sorry to hear about your history loss. You can check your Firefox settings on desktop to see if "Clear history on close" is enabled there too. Disabling it now might prevent future issues. For future reference, you can also explore browser extensions that offer history backup features.