Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Sidebar and Vertical tabs: try them out in Nightly Firefox Labs 131

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks,

Vertical tabs and a new sidebar experience that make multitasking and context-switching easier are now available in Nightly 131. To try them, update to the latest Nightly and go to Settings > Firefox Labs, and activate the Sidebar and Vertical tabs experiments.

After you do this, you will be able to see the new sidebar, but you will still need to add the sidebar icon to the toolbar to be able to expand vertical tabs. Click Customize toolbar in the toolbar right-click menu, and drag the sidebar icon to your toolbar. This is a temporary situation, and in the future the icon will be added to the toolbar automatically. 

A few things to keep in mind:

• This work is still very much in progress and has some rough edges, functionally and visually. You’ll see us improve and polish things over the coming months.
  • We will be sharing our informal backlog of improvements in this post today, so you can get a sense for where we ultimately want these features to be.
  • To design this first version, we conducted extensive research, talked to many Firefox users to understand their multitasking and context-switching needs, and prototyped extensively to find the best solutions to address them.

What we’re putting out there is something that we believe will help the majority of people using Firefox achieve their day-to-day tasks. We know there is no perfect solution for everyone and welcome your feedback to shape the direction we move forward in.

199 REPLIES 199

llimllib
Making moves

I like it! my main ask that hasn't been addressed yet is: I'd like a keyboard shortcut to toggle expand/collapse sidebar.

I figured out how to do that via the "show sidebars" button, but if there's a keyboard shortcut I don't know about it

yoasif
Making moves

The new history sidebar is worse in nearly every way compared to the old one.

Issues:

• Doing Control-h and typing a query no longer works
  • Only one type of sorting/grouping is available
  • Opening history forces an interaction instead of showing the latest visited pages
  • The input box looks like no other input box anywhere in Firefox
  • Worse information density
  • Hover colors seem darker than previous version

Screenshot from 2024-08-08 13-32-32.png

Screenshot from 2024-08-08 13-32-16.png

  

Speff
Making moves

I love the implementation so far as a proof of concept. Would like to 2nd strxpdew's suggestion of having different shelves for containers. Maybe also an option to auto-hide/reveal the sidebars on mouseover? Also maybe a right-click option on New Tab to select which container the tab should be for

Seddu
Making moves

Individual Panel width sizing like Vivaldi. Ability to add web pages to the panel. Setting to expand sidepanel and vertical tabs on hover.

Agreed, adding expandable side panel like has been integrated in to Firefox forks like Floorp and Zen would be amazing.

xolve
Making moves

A couple of things:

1. One is obviously tabs nesting, and able to resize the sidebar.

2. The blue line marker to know the current active tab is not all intuitive. The highlight can be on the whole tab.

3. The tooltip and tab-preview are one the sidebar which is can be on the right side of the sidebar.

I agree with point 3. I would like to see the tab preview on the side of the sidebar, not under the tab itself.

Zeed
Making moves

It's great. Things I'd like to see improved:

• Spacing between tabs (less)
  • Middle click to start new tab
  • Bookmarkbar (icons only) added vertically

Hugo_R
Making moves

I really like what I see! Thank you for the great implementation.

Here is what I would like to see:

1. Option to hide the titlebar

2. auto-expand and auto-collapse of the sidebar with the vertical tabs

barbatus
Making moves

Hi there!

Thank you so much for this feature, its fantastic and I really like the innovative idea to link extensions and chatbots into the tab bar, great stuff!!

One feature I notice I miss moving from a javascript/css extension Tab Center Reborn is the ability to widen the tab bar temporarily on hover. This helps me keep track of the tabs with text like I usually can on horizontal tabs. I have (hopefully) attached a video.

Thanks again!!

glenkim
Making moves

1. It would be nice if a new private window did not default to having the sidebar tabs collapsed. When I open a private window, I expect the sidebar tabs to be expanded if my regular browser window has them expanded.

2. Is there a hotkey for expanding/collapsing vertical tabs?

I agree with the point 1 !

myspace
Making moves

Thanks really enjoying it so far!

yoasif
Making moves

ezgif-5-6b610b01f5.gif

It is possible to move to tabs that are not visible in the tab strip using the keyboard - unlike the horizontal implementation, the "tabs" remain offscreen.

In the screencast above, I have moved from tabs visible on the strip to those that are not, and back to tabs that are visible.

som
Making moves

Hi there, great to see this out in the wild! Long-time user of tree-style tabs (and Firefox) that's been looking forward to a native implementation. For context, I tend to have 10-50 tabs open in each window, often leaning on the windows themselves for master grouping.

I'm not a TST / vertical tabs power user, but the two main features I rely on day-to-day are:

• Tab grouping / hierarchy:  clicking a link in one tab (optionally) opens it as a child tab; tabs can be dragged / grouped under parent tabs (I guess this is in the name!); groups can be re-ordered
  • Unloading tabs: I think this may be enabled by extension, but having the ability to selectively unload a group of tabs is great for manual memory management

In addition to those built-in features, I've also built a very simple TST hack / extension that - IMO - provides a bit more of a holistic approach to tab organisation. Instead of using vertical OR horizontal tabs, it uses both: reserving the horizontal tab space as a "workspace" for recently active and pinned tabs and then including the full laundry list in the sidebar. It's not perfect, but combined with tab grouping and unloading I've found it to be a pretty solid / flexible approach to prioritising your current area of browsing focus. I've been using it as a daily driver for a number of years. In brief:

• Pinned tabs: appear in the horizontal tab space, per the browser default
  • Active tab: the currently focused tab (if not pinned) appears wide in the horizontal tab space ... page titles are easily read at a glance without opening the vertical tab sidebar. The active tab remains in the horizontal space indefinitely.
  • Recently active tabs: tabs that have recently been in focus appear narrow in the horizontal tab space. After a set time they disappear (mine is set to 3 minutes). This allows you to flick between recent tabs without losing track.
  • Pinned active tab: stays pinned, except the most recently active non-pinned tab stays visible in the horizontal tab space for an extended period (mine is set to 1hr)
  • All tabs, except pinned: appear in the vertical tab space. This is where you organise, search, unload, etc.

To be clear, this is just one angle at solving a general tab organisation challenge. I'd be equally interested in an alternative approach that tackles the same. See below for an old screen grab:

Active Tabs: TST

Some additional features I'd love to see:

• Tab search: appreciate this is already available via the URL bar, but having a search / filter for the current window in the vertical tabs sidebar would be next level
  • Bookmarks toolbar to right / left of sidebar: when the bookmarks horizontal toolbar is set to show only on new tabs it causes the tabs sidebar to drop down every time you open a new tab. UI shift is generally bad. Be great to see sidebar stay aligned to top and the bookmarks toolbar only take up the available width where this is the case.
  • Sidebar expand on hover: this is included in my hack, but it's barebones and one of the more annoying aspects (I often accidentally open the sidebar, which can be sluggish). Would be great to see a performant native version that uses more smarts to work out when to open.

Thanks again for all the hard work. Cheers!

haingdc
Making moves

Hi, When use vertical sidebar. I notice the width is narrow with some tools. We have drag to adjust the width. It would be nice to have assignable shortcuts for increasing/decreasing sidebar width as it will be faster anytime

kubrick
Making moves

Hello!

Thank you for landing this long-awaited feature!

For me the main reason for wanting the vertical side-bar is because of the stupid aspect ratio of most modern displays, wasting a lot of horizontal space.

So horizontal space I have, and I don't need the vertical bar to be this compact, and having a list of icons for me is just not usable, I can find my tabs, I need to be able to see the labels/page titles. So for now I think I won't be using it, but when that's solved, I'll be all over it!

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

François

dimas_sc
Making moves

Finally! Thx! I like the first approach and the feeling, and I hope you will be implementing one of the big avantages to use vertical tabs: tab grouping / tree style tabs.

Marckov
Making moves

The sidebar's AI chatbot isn't working for me. 😥

Marckov_0-1723190942437.png

GoleMMan
Making moves

Great start! A few notes specifically about using this on a touch device:

• This works well for touch, enables fullscreen tabbing as a replacement for not being able to use fullscreen with always-on tabs at the top. It's also much easier to navigate tabs while on a Surface Pro device now.
  • However, I'm struggling to use hold-to-right-click on the small tab strip. This is ultimately a Windows issue, but it'd be useful to have some way to reliably and quickly close tabs without having to right click or have the wide tab ribbon deployed, the way you can with pinned tabs on the horizontal ribbon.
  • I was confused about the "always on" versus "hide" option. UX-wise I was expecting auto-hide, kinda like the Windows taskbar, and it took me a while to figure out the option referred to what happens when the sidebar button is set to off. This needs some UX polish, I think.
  • In general, an easier way to expand/hide the bar in fullscreen would be good. I'm not sure if there's a keyboard shortcut for this, but that may be the answer, now that the tabs can live here.
  • No tab name display pop-up on hover at the moment. I'm assuming that will come in at some point.
  • No dynamic width by dragging the tab edge on the wide vertical tab display at the moment. Also hoping that gets added.
  • Horizontal display for pinned tabs in the wide sidebar is a familiar design from some of the plugins previously available, but that seems like something I'd like to be able to toggle on/off at some point.

Overall, a very good start, well integrated and functional. I'm defaulting to it on Nightly for now for my touch devices.

kennylevinsen
Making moves

When vertical tabs are in use, the titlebar is largely empty, containing only three redundant tab navigation buttons.

It would be preferable if the titlebar could be hidden entirely in this mode, saving some vertical space.

screenshot.png

xpil
Making moves

"Close multiple tabs" => "Close tabs to left" makes no sense in vertical layout. Should read "Close tabs above".

Same goes for the opposite direction: "Close tabs to right" shoud now say "Close tabs below".

alba4k
Making moves

I mainly have three issues with the new sidebar (testing on 129 instead of nightly, sorry, lmk if any of this has been adressedalready)

• After switching to the sidebar, the + button that used to be below the tabs was there. After removing it from the top bar (and then removing the bar itself via userChrome.css), the + is gone in the sidebar. It doesn't come back if I add the + back.
  •  It is currently not possible to open new tabs with a double click / middle click on an empty part of the sidebar.
  • It would be nice to be able to reorder the items in the lower part of the sidebar, e.g. putting bitwarden on top of the other elements.

alba4k_2-1723204881005.png

yoasif
Making moves

The toolbar "Show sidebars" button now seems to work on the vertical tab strip instead of the sidebar like it used to previously. You can see this easily by installing Open in Sidebar, opening something in the sidebar, then clicking the "Show sidebars" button in the toolbar with the new sidebar enabled.

In release, the button shows and hides the extension sidebar. In Nightly, it acts on the tab strip.

This seems broken to me.

yoasif
Making moves

Long-pressing the vertical new tab button doesn't offer me a way to open a new container tab.

nano
Making moves

I think the vertical tabs look great, I was using the Tree Style Tabs extension previously, and I miss the following features:

- Being able to nest tabs and collapse them from a common parent tab

- Having a hotkey / shortcut to collapse or expand the whole sidebar (the same behavior that you get when pressing the "Show sidebar" button). I don't think this currently exists, or if it does I don't know where to find it.

Great job by the way! I was waiting for this for a long time.

geck
Making moves

This is nice but it still has a few bugs to iron out. One feature I would like to see is tab labels to the left/right of the vertical tabs as icons sometimes are not enough to distinguish at a glance what the tab is.
Also on a default toolbar with no customizations, the "Open a new tab (Ctrl+T)" button and "View recent browsing across windows" button stays on the horizontal tab list when you turn on vertical tabs, which makes the horizontal tab list look empty, it would be nice if they were moved to the vertical tab bar.

But still, this is a great start!

hiyer
Making moves

This is fantastic! My only request would be to add tree-style visualization like with this extension - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/

Oafish
Making moves

Hi, it'd be nice if the Vertical tabs are kept seperate from the sidebar, similar to how its done in MSEdge.

Oafish_0-1723269324795.png

Heres a similar implementation in firefox with sideberry and the bookmarks bar moved to the right to create a makeshift sidebar using custom CSS.

Heres how something similar looks im MSEdge

Oafish_1-1723269426463.png

Cheers

Intergalactic
Making moves

Thank you for bringing this long awaited feature to Firefox - it feels great to finally have my tabs on the left!

Albeit the feature is great, switching tabs using  + ⌥ + <left-arrow> and + ⌥ + <right-arrow> in vertical mode does not feel logical to me. It would be great if it could be swapped to use <up-arrow> and <down-arrow> instead.

franzschneider
Making moves

So happy to see this–finally!

Initial feedback:

• Please add ability to drag and adjust width of sidebar.
  • Please add ability to have pinned tabs as favicons like with the addon, Tab Center Redux. I have quite a few pinned tabs and they take up a lot of space if not collapsed to favicons.
    >>Edit: I just updated to the latest beta and see that this has been done. Awesome! Looks nice! Ability to adjust the padding might be useful to condense the space taken up by pins further, but it's great, other than that.
  • Please add the ability to search tabs like with the addon, Tab Center Redux.
  • The scrollbar for the sidebar and tabs could stand to be a bit wider for the purposed of clicking and dragging the scrollbar indicator. It's a bit thin.

Thanks for the work on this!

alirezaimi
Making moves

Hi
Thanks for your hard working ,
I use brave currently because vertical tabs in this browser is simple and useful enough for me, feature like (all in vertical tabs) :
1- tab grouping
2- group sync between devices with sync account
3- resizable panle size
4- custom keyboard shortcut for create new tab(next to current tab or after last child , ...

soc
Making moves

Thanks for mentioning the issues that are still being worked on, because the gaps on top took me by surprise until I read that this part was still work-in-progress.

I'm watching with interest whether this work can replace my own custom adaptations of Firefox:

Firefox with vertical tabs

KRASH
Making moves

Hi, thank you for adding this feature to the "vanilla" nightly 🙂

Two minor UI suggestions re. vertical tabs bar:
- I'd like to see the "new tab" icon on the bottom of all current open tabs. This way I won't have a "gap" between my current open tabs, and my current pinned tabs.

- I'd also like to see a minor "x" to close a tab when I hover my mouse pointer on it, so I can close it quickly when I no longer need it (and make it more accessible to those who don't have a middle mouse button / not tech savvy persons).

One major nice to have would be to squeeze the whole adressbar into the title bar, i.e. same top-row that has minimize, maximize and close buttons. I understand that it would be a headache though, considering each desktop would require a different implementation for it.

Keep up the awesome work 🔥

/K

Hello

@KRASH wrote:

I'd also like to see a minor "x" to close a tab when I hover my mouse pointer on it

Unless i've misunderstood
For information purposes https://www.userchrome.org
https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/improvements-to-the-firefox-sidebar-are-on-the-way/m-p/61...
userChrome.css and by way of illustration

.tab-close-button:hover{background-color:red !important;}

https://www.youtube.com/embed/y9j3Z1-X0GE

Other https://www.w3schools.com/colors/default.asp

Restart Firefox if you modify the code

0x779
Making moves

This is a useful feature which I have been hoping to see in Firefox.  I would suggest making the sidebar resizeable when it opens up, so you can see the entire label of each sidebar tab.

To give you some insight into my use case and why that would be useful to people like me:

I often have a large number of tabs to remote desktop sessions open for my job, where the title of each tab starts with a (relatively long) username, followed by the server name, which is the part of the title I would like to see.  Of course, the tabs can only be so long in horizontal tabs, so the server names are not visible in the tab labels without hovering over them.  Vertical tabs more or less solve this problem for me by allowing more of the tab label to be shown, and so revealing the full name of the server and allowing me to quickly jump between them without hovering on each tab to check which RDP connection each tab leads to. 

However, despite the fact that these new vertical tabs now show more of the server names, some of it is still cut off -- and I can't seem to resize the sidebar to an appropriate length to show the whole length of the tab labels. 

I am very happy that this feature has been added, in any case!

Pfize
Making moves

Is it possilble bring this in future updates?

1. Hide the sidebar in fullscreen (F11). To show the sidebar again we can do this via cursor. Same as the top bar.
  2. The abillity to resize the toolbar would be nice

No bugs so far but guess there have been a few updates since yesterday 😎

3. Tab container on the new tab icon in the sidebar

tilwiti
Familiar face

Great update! I have a few suggestions to enhance the experience:

• Automatically hide vertical tabs when extensions like Sideberry are enabled.
  • Center the plus sign more precisely, aligning it with the tabs for a cleaner look.
  • Add the option to create custom web panels—essentially mobile versions of websites attached to the sidebar.
  • Address the issue where large prompts make the ChatGPT page appear empty.
  • Allow users to edit the vertical panel directly in the UI editor (where the dragon pic is located).

I really appreciate the direction you're taking with this feature. I’d even support adding more telemetry to help you explore different usage scenarios.

tilwiti_0-1723320575466.png

Ivi104
Making moves

This is a great start but a lot of things could be improved.

• Allow us to choose the position of the New Tab (+) button. I'd prefer it after all the tabs instead of at the top. Add a visible dividing line between the last tab and the button.
  • Reduce the gab between tabs.
  • Add a visible purple border to the right of each tab in incognito, to make it immediately recognized.
  • If bookmarks are shown only on new tabs, when scrolling through multiple open tabs, and among them a New Tab page (about:newtab), all the tabs shift down to make place for the bookmarks bar. When selecting the new tab, the mouse is no longer on the new tab, but on the tab above it, so I have to move the mouse two tabs down to move to the next tab (after newtab), then one tab up to move to the next tab.
  • If the sidebar is collapsed, it stays collapsed on hover, so there's no intuitive way to close a tab. The sidebar should expand on hover (preferably after a small delay - .25 s, make it modifiable), allowing us to close a tab via X when hovering over it, and collapse when the mouse moves away.