cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox scrolling jumps in Facebook

zdvaz
Making moves

When scrolling posts on Facebook, there are random jumps up to 6 new posts forward. It is necessary to scroll back and look for the last displayed post (photo, video, txt). It looks like firefox doesn't remember the last displayed position before updating the cache. It is very annoying because there is always a flicker.

389 REPLIES 389

NewTotse
Making moves

My browser does this too, only it seems to trigger the next loading zone and just keep scrolling unless I can force it up 6-10 posts before it can decide to do it again. I'm about to switch back to Chrome.

PCOECSI
Making moves

Yeah a post from over a year ago and still not a thing fixed, they blame it on third party add-ins, extensions, and themes anything but their own shoddy programming. Shoddy programming allows third party programs/websites content interaction to misbehave. Half the time all you have to do is nudge the mouse and the content starts bouncing around to the point that you cannot even select content like a form field, scroll content into view, I would blame it on Facebook's programming however it is not just Facebook, it is any and every website.

barbloki
Making moves

I'm on Firefox 119, October 2023, and this problem still persists. I have to use Chrome to get rid of the problem.

Roy184
Making moves

119.0 did not fix an issue causing unexpected jumps in the scroll position on Facebook. I am still experiencing this issue. I tried to fix it by deleting all caches and web data and restarting my device. No result.

Same. It seems the jumping bug on facebook is not fixed for everyone. I'm on 119.0 as well and it's still happening.

I joined this discussion today for the same reason. This has been going on for a least 6 months. Why can't they fix it?

jusa9999
Making moves

It is happening even worse, these days I barely could read a post, even LOOK a singles photo, because is in nonstop autoscrolling

Per
Making moves

I have used Firefox since it was called Phoenix but I've been using Edge for a year because of this bug. Wanted to use Firefox again so I tried the latest version (119). If anything, it's even worse than a year ago. Ridiculous.

Roy184
Making moves

still facing the jump. Version 120.0

Steve1856
Making moves

Fixed the issue on laptops and PCs Windows 7, 10, 11 etc.
Go to Firefox, Settings, Privacy & Security, Clear Data, Clear cashed web content.

p.s. It was better for a while but after that the problem still there. I agree it seems to be a FB problem. As they don't care I open in a new window every post wich seems to be interesting so they can't delete it... 🙂

Jartza
Making moves

Ridiculous, version 121.4. Still jumping and scrolling around like crazy. This seems to be "not going to fix"-issue.

jerseystar
Making moves

I'm sure this is a Facebook problem, not a Firefox problem. I've discovered that FB decides it's time to update what's shown & just deletes all of the earlier posts. So if I decide I want to scroll back and see a post I'd read earlier, it's gone. I think that when it does one of its "updates" that's when it jumps down.

That's irrelevant. Facebook and Instagram, where this problem happens, are two of the most used pages on the internet. They have been doing it this way for two years and they are most likely not going to change, and they don't care. The ones suffering are Firefox end users, and Mozilla seing their users switching to other browser because Firefox doesn't work properly on the sites they are using.

The auto feed update is another issue that both facebook and instagram have (in any browse, in any device), and is normal. The auto scroll problem that's happening for more than a year now is when you scroll down the news feed, firefox start to auto scroll like crazy loading a lot of posts and you can't controll that.

In addition, the fixes that were posted months ago in this thread cured, for the most part, all the issues I had.  If folks will read back a number of posts, the fixes are posted.

hmkabaker
Familiar face

Yes,. this is true. I think it's part of the fix for the repeated auto scroll and hopscotch in the feed. Ffx 121.0.1, Mac SONOMA. FWIW, you can just hit refresh or Shift-refresh to reload the top.

Galliwampus
Making moves

The problem is even worse now. 😞

miniskunk
Making moves

The bug is strange as it seems to be fixed one week, then resumes again for no apparent reason. It doesn't seem to be affected by or tied to Firefox updates.

I agree!  The other day it was awful, then one day it worked great and I scrolled and read a lot of posts without any issues, but the next day it was back to awful!  It has been jumping and and jumping and then jumping more, even while I'm trying to scroll back up to see what I've missed.  Facebook is already selective about the posts it shows us, and if it loads these posts but jumps down the screen before we get to read them FB will think we've seen them anyway and never show them in our feed again.

It seems to come and go, which suggests it's not something Ffx ca anticipate or control. Must be something added or dropped in the FB feed from time to time., IMO.

johnsankey
Making moves

This problem looked like it had been solved until the latest update. It's now back with a vengeance. Why? Safari doesn't do it...

miqlo
Making moves

This has been going on for nearly a year now!? What gives?

Make that 2 years, wth

Indiamachinemrt
Making moves

Even I am facing the same issue as @readymatrimony 

for my website 

India;s B2B industrial Marketplace

Marcin-Kowalski
Making moves

Still an issue on Facebook, Firefox 125. Does Mozilla even care about it's users? It's been like years.

Marcin-Kowalski
Making moves

I have figured it out! Scroll jumping is caused by ublock origin on mobile. It 100% stops when I disable the extension on Facebook. Yey 😉

hmkabaker
Familiar face

You mean jumping on mobile app? Or/also on desktop and laptop Macs?

Marcin-Kowalski
Making moves

Mobile. But I have noticed it only happens to me with ublock origin on.

ashaaine
Making moves

This issue might stem from Firefox's cache management or a glitch in its scrolling mechanism. Try clearing your cache or using a different browser.

ajp1228
Familiar face

I've not had the scroll-jumping issue on my Windows 10 Pro laptop in quite awhile.  It seems to be fixed. I think it was cache-related.  I still have some other issues which are not as bad, at least one of which also seems to be a cache issue.  The first issue is that my feed will jump backwards a few posts most of the time when I "react" to a post using something other than the "like" button.  I don't believe this is related to the cache.  The second issue is that after I've been scrolling for awhile and then go into view all of the comments of a particular post, I sometimes cannot click "like" or any other buttons related to more comments.  This happens not only in news feed but also if I'm scrolling a particular page (like a page that posts all sorts of unofficial news and has numerous posts every day) and scroll through a lot of posts.  Because it only happens after scrolling for awhile, I believe this is also cache-related.  Also, occasionally I will have trouble getting posts to load, either all posts or it will only load a few posts on a page and then stop loading.  This must also be a cache issue, because I can usually just close the tab and open Facebook in a new tab and it will work again.

I think Facebook wants us to use apps rather than browsers; they can probably track us better.  I think there is even a Windows app.  I can't remember if I tried it once, a long time ago, and didn't like it, or not.