cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox scrolling jumps in Facebook

zdvaz
Making moves

When scrolling posts on Facebook, there are random jumps up to 6 new posts forward. It is necessary to scroll back and look for the last displayed post (photo, video, txt). It looks like firefox doesn't remember the last displayed position before updating the cache. It is very annoying because there is always a flicker.

382 REPLIES 382

Dazzlerman
Making moves

It must be a hard problem to solve after all this time.

miniskunk
Making moves

I think they may have fixed it with the recent Firefox update! The top of the feed still keeps deleting as new posts are loading as before, but the feed no longer jumps. The only sign that posts are loading is the scrolling button moves up. I am on version 106.0.1

I'm on 106.0.1 too, but saw scrolling this morning on FB. It does seem less frequent, however.

Same here. Maybe it's not selfscrolling like crazy, like before, but still jumps quite a few posts.

jerseystar
Making moves

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was my old computer (still on Windows 7). But just got a new PC with Windows 11 and problem still happening. And now FB periodically freezes as well.

Snowdogg
Making moves

My FF got updated to 106.0.2 - didn't think about it, but realized this afternoon that I have not seen and crazy scrolling in FB today. Knock on wood.  🙂  Crossing my fingers they added something to help out the issue.

My Fingers are crossed too. Seems to fixed!!

StefanoCecere
Making moves

i confirm that with 106.0.2 it seems fixed!

sorcererkletian
Making moves

106.0.2 seems to have fixed the auto scrolling, also the random pages opening when viewing a post with images doesn't happen anymore, but the left side of a post with multiple images is still glitched. The buttons to pass images to the left does not work, but the right one is ok.

VicThor
Making moves

Seems fixed for me as well, sure took a long time, hope it doesn't come back.

mozeatme
Making moves

This was a facecrack problem...  I had a feeling...  I never upgraded past 105 - no auto update BS.  And Faceblat is working correctly.  Ya know - they all wanna be so man bun, java jockey, Python Pirate cool with their Meta BS but they can barely run a web portal.  Something that my coders did back in 1995 when we did the first wireless IoT thing - https://patents.google.com/patent/US6208266

Sad, really - too many kids going into STEM 'cause mommy said it was better than being an archeologist...  humans have such a skewed system of values. Ya know what has contributed the most to the increase in human longevity? 

Not medical, not big pharma...  toilets and sewage systems.   Yep - clean water.

Ya ain't got enough garbage men, you won't have enough doctors... simple fact.

And garbage is what the "internet" has pretty much turned into.  I talk with some of the old timers that started all this crap - people like Steve Crocker (RFC1) and some other ARPANET guys.  They're sick as to what this all turned into.

So no wonder something a simple as scrolling is such a mess...

Sad, really....

ajp1228
Familiar face

I also think it's finally fixed.  I've not had an issue with the scrolling for several days.  I do still have a problem with the buttons not working correctly when viewing pictures, after I've been on FB for awhile, and sometimes redirecting me to a random page, but that one doesn't seem to be happening as much as it used to.

wb8nbs
Making moves

It's now November and I haven't seen Facebook skipping for a couple weeks (FF 105.0 on Ubuntu). Facebook however has developed another but that is just as annoying. It will randomly lock up when you click on a post. Displays a scrolling time stamp over the left side. Clicking things on the screen usually has no effect but sometimes will return to a random place in the feed.

fully confirm the new "bug" that has started to anny since a few weeks

Yes, I think this new bug has also been mentioned in some of the above comments.  It happens to me when viewing individual pictures from a post with multiple pics.  Sometimes the "back" button doesn't work or the "X" button to get back to the main page, but if I hit the "Escape" button I can usually get back to where I was.  Occasionally I will click something and end up on a random page, but that isn't happening as much as it did for awhile - it used to be pretty bad, or maybe I've just learned to stop clicking and hit "Escape."  This one is easier to live with than the scrolling issues that now seem to be fixed.

wb8nbs
Making moves

A work around for the random lock up bug on Facebook. Right click on one of the numbers that have appeared down the left side and select "inspect". You will be in the middle of a long list of scripts. Scroll up to the top of that list, right click and "delete node". You can then close the inspect window and continue.

ajp1228
Familiar face

I've noticed the problem has come back over the last day or so.  It's not as bad as before, but it's back.  Facebook has recently updated its layout, but I didn't notice the scrolling issue until Firefox did another update, to 108.0.1.

I thought the same thing today but didn't want to believe it....

It's true. Started happening for me again tonight. Jumps about 4 to 6 posts every so often while scroll-wheel scrolling slowly.

It's only jumping about two or three posts for me, but yes, it is back.

VicThor
Making moves

Happened today for me as well, guess it's back dammit!

Snowdogg
Making moves

Is it me, or does FF always seem to have some kind of bothersome bug? I really like FF a lot, but I don't have these kinds of issues on other browsers. I had (sometimes still do) an issue with copy/paste, this scrolling issue, they took away the Pocket link (think it's back now though). Sigh.

mozeatme
Making moves

I have not upgraded since version 105. And the jumping is back for me. This is due to the man-bun, java jockey, pitiful python pirates at facebook, though I'm sure the one's at Mozilla also have long standing issues

mozeatme
Making moves

I have not upgraded since version 105. And the jumping is back for me. This is due to the man-bun, java jockey, pitiful python pirates at facebook, though I'm sure the one's at Mozilla also have long standing issues

If it's Facebook's issue, why do I not have the problem with Safari nor Chrome? 

Probably because they have to write different code for different browsers, since all browsers are not equal. You can see it in some games, as well. I do see the problem in Chrome and Edge, however it's just a slight jump & seems to correct itself.

cjgiam
Making moves

It's Baaaaaak!!! And it's worse than ever.

FYI, it started back BEFORE the 108.0.1 rev

sylviemorel
Making moves

After several months of calm, it's started again! What is going on?????

proberts122
Making moves

I'm experiencing both the wild scrolling problem and also the lock up problem with weird numbers down the left side of the FB  screen.  So frustrating!

Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1, FF 108.0.1

Arthanzar
Making moves

It's happening again in the latest version, as at 2022.12.22.

hmkabaker
Familiar face

Me, too. FF 108.0.1 on Mac OS Ventura 13.1.

Friends, please note your OS as well as FF version. It may help the bug-hunters.

StefanoCecere
Making moves

it's very sad that this bug came back, after more than 1 year of suffering..

miphoneman
Making moves

I think it has something to do with JavaScript creating dynamic pages. Getting the same effects on NextDoor as I scroll down. Since all the page doesn't load at once, we are stuck with how the JS code handles the page, especially since FB and ND are probably only testing with Edge and Chrome. BTW, Edge is based on the Chrome core. There does not appear to be any way to get FB or ND to conduct some tests and see what their code is doing on other browsers.

gutboy
Making moves

The scrolling issue went away for a few days, but now it's back worse than ever.
BUT WAIT!  now the notifications area shows every tab's text for that area on top of each other.
Orders of magnitude worse!
I've heard rumors that Facebook doesn't test its builds on Firefox, and it shows. They want us to use Chrome. I don't like Chrome. If I have to choose, it's going to be goodbye Facebook. More trouble than it's worth.

DavidS
Making moves

I was having the scrolling issues then they subsided, but did not go completely away. I started using the add-on - Facebook Container - to help with privacy and tracking issues. Well, since I started using it, I have had no scrolling issues, for about a month now.

I installed this last week, but I'm still having the same scrolling problem.  😞

Luca_Pavan
Familiar face

Interesting, it randomly happens to me that when I scroll through Discord chats (along with a temporary gap in content), it suddenly sends me back older messages, sometimes more than a month old. I thought it was a Discord problem (which I also talked to the Discord team about), but now reading this post and other comments it seems to be a Firefox problem 🤔. If someone here has Discord, can you check if scrolling chats does the same to you? Maybe long chats.

Snowdogg
Making moves

I've given up and gone back to Chrome. Too many issues and bugs when a release should be stable. I know people say Facebook should test more against Firefox, but it's also Firefox's responsibility to test against common and popular web sites. I have had issues on other sites than Facebook, just not at frequently, such as page images overlapping, copy/paste not working correctly. I really like the FB interface (except they couldn't decide how to deal with Pocket and the reading list), but, I need stability. I guess I'll periodically check and see how it's coming along. 

wildmaxim
Making moves

108.0.1 problem still exist