cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox arm64 graphical problems on Surface Pro X

YMica_OSE
Making moves

I have an SQ1 model of the Surface Pro X (which is an arm-based processor) and running the native arm64 version of Firefox was the best choice to get the most performance out of the tablet. However...

I'm experiencing weird glitches throughout the entire browser (most likely areas where 2D rendering is involved). Most rounded corner assets appears as square corners and their colors seems to either be incorrectly rendered or have weird square seizures. The image below shows the issue.

YMica_OSE_0-1700798320228.png

This issue has happened ever since I got the device which was around the time 118.0 was out. It happens on both the original Windows 11 and the 22H2/23H2 update and no amount of driver updates made the problem go away (the driver is the latest one listed on Microsoft's site, 27.20.2020.0). Disabling hardware acceleration does solve the problem but that leaves the performance being trash.

I'm not entirely sure if this is a Qualcomm/Windows problem or a Firefox problem. I've had a phone running Windows 11 on arm with the same native arm64 Firefox and the issue did not occur, so I guess it's just this tablet model.

I do have a Reddit post with a video demonstrating the issue here. If any of you reading this are developers please look into this issue as I don't want to switch to the x64 version because emulation performance on this is horrible.

4 REPLIES 4

INTRANET
Making moves

I agree with this. This issue never been fixed or reviewed by Firefox developers team. Why on Mac with ARM architecture firefox works perfect, but on Windows is different.

Firefox.jpg

bacon
Making moves

I am experiencing the same issue since quite some time. I do have the same hardware (Surface Pro X arm64).

bacon
Making moves

If somebody comes across this post, head here for a fix: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1442223

bundyo
Making moves

Seems the ANGLE renderer is causing these graphical glitches. After disabling gfx.webrender.force-angle and restarting Firefox, they seem gone.

P.S. On second check - this option also enables the software rendering.

P.S. After some more testing - software rendering with OpenGL works more fluid (scrolling doesn't stutter) than the D3D11 one.