cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 117 using too much RAM?(BUG?)(There are still problems after updating to 118)

f00215k6
Making moves

In the past few days, when using Firefox, it suddenly takes up too much RAM. Even if most of the page is turned off, there is no improvement.

Only by closing and reopening Firefox will the occupied RAM be released.

Let me mention my daily usage. When I open Firefox, I am used to returning to the last browsing status, but most of the time those tabs are not read. In addition, I have 1 to 3 Youtube videos, Discord and kancolle (web games) running. Before updating to version 117, my RAM usage was only 70% at most.

BUG?BUG?BUG?BUG?The above two pictures are bug.

The following is the normal situation.

normalnormal

9 REPLIES 9

quake786
Making moves

I'm also having the same problem tried chrome and when I close a tab they usage drops with Firefox usage just keeps going up never dropping regardless of how many tabs I close. Even After I close the app I need to completely close it on task manager for it to actually reset.

toneloc
Making moves

I have just the same problem, it uses 11.8 gig of data at its peak, makes PC unuseable

f00215k6
Making moves

I found that RAM usage spiked after a certain operation.

There is a chance that this BUG will be triggered after dragging the tab out to become an independent window.

Usually the content of that web page is multimedia, such as web games or Youtube picture-in-picture.

This situation rarely occurs in the current version 118.0.2, but it may still be triggered.

quake786
Making moves

Firefox is running multiple instances of their own same process 5 to 8 times and always one of them starts eating up ram space like crazy.I got instances of up to 16 gigs of ram being used to run Mozilla. All you need to do to create this bug is open two tabs off YouTube or any video website that requires any rendering whatsoever and the bug pops up. Last night I just left it alone for 20 minutes and it started eating up all my ram.

toneloc
Making moves

Yes, it is really awful. I am moving over to Edge until things get sorted

f00215k6
Making moves

The problem has been slightly improved in version 118, but it still happens.

Is there any way to let the development team know about this issue? I'm not sure if they saw this thread.

Personally I had this issue from this version last version wasn't that bad. I did report but there doesn't seem to be anyway to report the problem. I tried reporting the bug several ways they all lead to common issues not ways to report to the technical team.

QuiGonJohn
Making moves

This is happening a lot to me now, as well. Some pages, one in particular is Yahoo Finance, Firefox will suck up my RAM, often to 96% of RAM in use. PC Bogs down and I am lucky if I can kill the PID for Firefox in Task Manager. My current version is 115.7.0esr

Mizar
Familiar face

Interesting from what I gather it seems to query the system for how much RAM it has and then hogs it to itself.