cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dates, times, numbers and units of measure system formatting fail

Luca_Pavan
Familiar face

It's useful to format dates, times, numbers and units of measure to system settings but can it sometimes not work? Well, I think so, at least now I saw it on Mozilla Connect where dates and times aren't formatted to my system settings, I should see them as (day)-(month)-(year) (24 hour format, so without AM and PM).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Luca_Pavan

If you select your profile in the upper right hand corner of the site and go to Account settings > Preferences > Display, you should be able to choose your preferred date display format.

If that doesn't work or isn't what you're looking for, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Jon

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Luca_Pavan

If you select your profile in the upper right hand corner of the site and go to Account settings > Preferences > Display, you should be able to choose your preferred date display format.

If that doesn't work or isn't what you're looking for, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Luca_Pavan
Familiar face

Cool, it did, but how about hours? I didn't saw one to format hours, too.

barney222
Making moves

Please, i have already AM/PM time in FF on MAC. MAC system has 24 format, but only FF has AM/PM. any solution? Thank you

On your MAC settings on date and time section you should have an option to toggle between 24 hours format and AM/PM, it may be called 12 hours format.

barney222
Making moves

MAC settings has 24 hour date time format, but FF has 12 hours format. Its so strange... I would like same 24 hours format for my FF. 115.1.0esr /64bit/

On Firefox settings you can enable the option Use the operating system settings for "(your current language and country)" to format dates, times, numbers, and units of measure., on Settings > General scroll down till Language and enable it. Note that certain websites adapt to the browser settings perfectly, some don't, they may have their own setting to enable. After enabling this option if some websites don't collaborate properly check their own settings page to set the date and time format that you want.

I just done that, but the time format for this site is still AM/PM, whereas it is 24 hours on my desktop.

Is there a way to check how it is set at Firefox level ?

--
RAPID maintainer
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/rapid/

Yes, it's on Settings > General > ☑️ Use the operating system settings for “(your country and language)” to format dates, times, numbers, and units of measure.

I already checked this checkbox.

I would like to check how Firefox see the time format (is it English?) to know whether the pb is between the OS and Firefox or between Firefox and mozilla.org.

--
RAPID maintainer

I don't understand, looks like that you're asking for advanced tools 🤔.

Sorry, I'm not sure about what you don't understand.

If it's not possible to check which is the time format set in Firefox, do you have any idea about what I could do more to resolve the pb? Maybe a neutral web page which only says what Firefox tells it?

--
RAPID maintainer

If you enable the option that I said Firefox will format date and time following your OS settings, if you disable it you'll see them as the website sets them or, if allowed, how you configured on the website settings. If something is still strange or looks wrong you may want to check Bugzilla and, if necessary, add a report.

You tell "Firefox will format date and time following your OS settings": Is there a mean to check directly how Firefox formats date and time, or can I do it only through the website?

To be clear :

- My OS (GNOME) is set with 24 hours

- I enabled the option that you said

- I see time on connect.mozilla.org formatted as AM/PM

So it seems to be still wrong, don't you think?

Could you give me the link to Bugzilla please, and have you any idea of keywords I should search to check existing reports?

--
RAPID maintainer

Did you check your profile settings for connect.mozilla.org as Jon explained on his reply that I marked as solution? It's weird that you still have a problem with time and date formats. If you want to add a bug report you can search for time and date format of course, I think it's the only thing to search 😄. Bugzilla link is on the bottom of connect.mozilla.org pages, Report a Bug.

Yes I also checked settings as Jon explained. It works for date format but not for time format.

Thank you for the link and the keywords. 🙂

--
RAPID maintainer

barney222
Making moves

I tryed this solution, there is Englis US only i cant add next language.

https://yourimageshare.com/ib/XWEebdDUdG

my internet conection is stable

You don't need to change language to enable this option, but if you want to add another one you just have to click Select a language to add… that I see on your screenshot. But anyway, I don't see the option that I told you previously, maybe because ESR version that you have doesn't have this option at all, or it's not under Language as on my version. As you can see, I have that option under the Language title, after the language choice.Schermata da 2023-09-06 15-55-27.png
See if typing format dates on the Settings search bar you find it, in case it doesn't it means that ESR doesn't have it. But anyway usually the websites that you use provide an option on their settings to format dates as you wish when they have many dates and times, like blogs and news websites.

barney222
Making moves

no solution for my ESR, 😞 i cant install other version (business restriction)

If you're using Firefox at work then it's better to not replace it or edit its settings as the manager can see what you change.