cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom search engines like Chrome

AzureArmageddon
Making moves

Installing extensions requires extension developers. Chrome just lets you substitute the query into the URL parameters for any website. I wish Firefox had this feature. DuckDuckGo Bangs are managed by DuckDuckGo and just bookmarking the site wastes time loading the search page when I could just jump to loading the results page. All versions of Firefox ought to support this. None do rn afaik.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jscher2000
Leader

This has been under development for a while, but doesn't seem to be getting finalized with urgency.

Step #1: Enable the feature

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.urlbar.update2.engineAliasRefresh and pause while the list is filtered

Firefox should display a bar with Boolean Number String and a plus sign button.

(C) Keep the selection on Boolean and click the plus sign button. If the value isn't set to true automatically, double-click false to switch it to true.

Step #2: Add an engine

Open the Settings page, Search panel, and scroll down to the Search Shortcuts section. Below the box, you should find a new '''Add''' button.

Click Add to open a form and then set up your new engine with the name of your choice, your results page URL, and keyword of your choice, if any. The results page URL requires editing: replace the search term from your results page with the placeholder %s so Firefox knows that is where to fill in your query text when submitting your search.

Note: there's no way to edit this new search engine so if it doesn't work, you would need to remove it and create a new one.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jscher2000
Leader

This has been under development for a while, but doesn't seem to be getting finalized with urgency.

Step #1: Enable the feature

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.urlbar.update2.engineAliasRefresh and pause while the list is filtered

Firefox should display a bar with Boolean Number String and a plus sign button.

(C) Keep the selection on Boolean and click the plus sign button. If the value isn't set to true automatically, double-click false to switch it to true.

Step #2: Add an engine

Open the Settings page, Search panel, and scroll down to the Search Shortcuts section. Below the box, you should find a new '''Add''' button.

Click Add to open a form and then set up your new engine with the name of your choice, your results page URL, and keyword of your choice, if any. The results page URL requires editing: replace the search term from your results page with the placeholder %s so Firefox knows that is where to fill in your query text when submitting your search.

Note: there's no way to edit this new search engine so if it doesn't work, you would need to remove it and create a new one.

it works!😁👍

Thanks a ton for this!

I use Cookie AutoDelete, so search engine preferences cannot be stored in cookies, but it can very well be captured in URL parameters with the %s.

This does not work in Firefox for Android in which entering about:config in the URL bar just returns a blank page.

I am using the latest version:

118.1.1 (Build #2015977611), f59d32286a+
GV: 118.0.1-20230927232528
AS: 118.0

George Rodger

Also can't find the flag on firefox mac

This is awesome, thank you!

I do have one issue that I wouldn't call a bug, more a feature request.

In Chrome, I have a custom search engine that is more of a shortcut to specific subdomains, so the Engine URL I use is something like https://%s.foobar.com.  When entering this URL, however, Firefox (v120.0.1 on MacOS 14.1.2) flags the URL as invalid with a red box around the field and a greyed out, disabled "Add Engine" button.

Just curious if this is on any roadmap and if not, where might I suggest it as a feature request?

chrom ,edge, and other browser is done for years, when can you made it come true???????????????????

Janiel
Making moves

Loock

Al2024
Making moves

I have been using Firefox for 20 years. However, whenever I open the browser it causes my disk to go to 100% and everything stops. I've now switched to Chrome. I tried to tell Firefox this but there is no way I can discover that lets me send them a message.

Al2024
Making moves

Thank you. I couldn't find that page because I've never heard of bugzilla.