cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bookmarks and web history are now terrible

philroe
Making moves

I've used FF as my primary browser for many years, have many bookmarks, but I've now become very frustrated since the bookmarks reliability have become suspect.

I can't add new bookmarks to subfolders.

Looking at web history is unreliable. To find a page I just viewed yesterday is a chore. I've started and restarted my current browser with recent updates and looked for an applied fixes from web suggestions but though these fixes work immediately they don't seem to stick. I have to apply the fix again.

If this isn't fixed soon I'm moving to another browser. I know I really can't complain since this is free and likely you get paid by advertising. I would like to support the little guy against MS and Google.

1 REPLY 1

jscher2000
Leader

@philroe wrote:

I can't add new bookmarks to subfolders.

Hi, could you explain that further? Are you using the star (or Ctrl+D) dialog in the address bar to choose the folder -- this dialog copies the current page title and URL for you. Or are you opening the folder first, then right-clicking and using Add Bookmark -- this dialog is a blank form.

In the star dialog, there is a "recent folders" list and then to the right a button to show the whole folder hierarchy. Some systems seem to have a color contrast problem where the "twisty" control to the left of a folder is invisible, so you can't tell whether it is expanded or not (or can't tell where to click to expand it to show its sub-folders).

Looking at web history is unreliable. To find a page I just viewed yesterday is a chore.

Are you using the Library window ("Show All History" or Ctrl+Shift+H)? That has a column -- you can right-click any column heading to add it if it doesn't show -- for Most Recent Visit which you can use for finding an entry by date.

Unfortunately, the list only shows the latest visit and not every visit. After you load the page again, Firefox hides the previous date/time. This was designed when computers were much slower, so hopefully one day we'll get a full list option. Until then, you may need to use an add-on or external program to generate a history of every visit Firefox has saved.

I've started and restarted my current browser with recent updates and looked for an applied fixes from web suggestions but though these fixes work immediately they don't seem to stick. I have to apply the fix again.

What kinds of changes? Maybe the following support article will help with tracking down why they do not carry over after exiting:

https://support.mozilla.org/kb/how-to-fix-preferences-wont-save