cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

128.0 Unified History: Simpler, but worse

papawpatriot
Making moves

The former history clearing options provide more control over cookies and site data, as well as providing the ability to clear data and cookies cache without logging out of signed in accounts. 

Now, those sets of data just grow.

Simplifying fixed something that wasn't necessarily broken, but now it is.

11 REPLIES 11

Dricera
Making moves

100% agreed. I don't know why as Mozilla you would go this route, when one of your main selling points is the amount of control you offer to users compared to chrome. I hope they revert this, but in the long term if this trend of "change-for-the-sake-of-change" backward decisions continue I will look into migrating my data onto a usable fork.

Did you have some very popular fork in mind btw?

OutlawHusbando
Making moves

Please revert the changes, this is really really bad, why do you force us to delete both Offline Website Data and Cookies, we don't want in many cases because deleting OWD is more useful to speed up Firefox, Firefox with massive OWD is slower.

Dan
Making moves

Yes it's awful. Having to use an about:config preference as workaround is the most userunfriendly thing

jscher2000
Leader

I understand the impulse to simplify Firefox and make it more similar to the dominant browser, but when an "expert" feature already exists, it would be preferable to have an "advanced" switch so users can easily manage settings in detail rather than removing the option for everyone.

But to make sure we can keep even the current workaround, it would be helpful if people could describe how having the settings separated is useful to them. For example, this Reddit post: https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/1e02vcv/

What workaround? See:

@Dan wrote:

Yes it's awful. Having to use an about:config preference as workaround is the most userunfriendly thing

For everyone's reference, I think this refers to the following (probably temporary) preference:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste OldClearHistory and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the privacy.sanitize.useOldClearHistoryDialog preference to switch the value from false to true

Dan
Making moves

Yes, privacy.sanitize.useOldClearHistoryDialog is exactly what I meant. Btw, afaik users can simply paste that exact same string into the searchbar and directly double-click without having to make step (B), or? And, jscher, do you know by chance if this change was a team decision or if one person implemented this and it simply passed QA somehow?

suikaz
Making moves

the huge issue basically every software maker nowadays seems to miss is the difference between *simple* and *limited*

*limited* usually is **harder** to use due to lack of some features

Alexey104
Making moves

Please, if you keep this new clear history dialog, at least do not remove the `privacy.sanitize.useOldClearHistoryDialog` option in future versions.

ivan1
Making moves

I see zero reason for this change, which i found about today when i was searching how to clear site data after not finding it in settings. They 100% must bring back old menu, firefox user base is comparatively small and has bigger advanced user percentage and they think its good idea to remove "advanced" features. I put it in quotes because i dont even consider it advanced but we live in 2024

tjn21
Making moves

I agree.  I never use the browser offline so I do not want to keep that data.

danmhi
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone. I just want to highlight that we're appreciative and are paying attention to all the feedback.