cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
limoy

Ultimately I browse with many tabs opened at the same time doing investigations and research and found myself wanting to, somehow, save my current session and continue later or the next day.

My idea is, when I'm in Firefox and want to finish what I'm doing because I can't finish it at the moment my investigation or something else, some how, save my current session (opened tabs at the moment) clicking a button and wen its saved(remember current tabs opened) Firefox closes automatically, then later or the other day when I open Firefox again, it open the homepage and a notification from Firefox showing "restore last session?" and the same notification let me select yes or close notification which will cancel that.

I hope it can make a bit better Firefox.

27 Comments
jscher2000
Leader

Firefox will save a session history file when you exit/quit normally using the menu. You can set Firefox to restore the previous session at every startup, or you can restore it yourself from the History menu. However, there's no way to set Firefox to show a list of your last session in a tab and let you choose each time at startup; I think a lot of people would appreciate that.

(Session history is a kind of history, so session history won't be saved if you have set Firefox to always use private windows or to clear history when it closes. If you never find Restore Previous Session on your History menu, that could be the problem.)

steel835
Familiar face

You can also use a Tab Stash extension, if you want more control over this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-stash/

BLT47

Need MUCH better session save/restore control. Saved, named tab groups. But mostly, FIX THE BUGS!!

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @BLT47 ,

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community, it is now open for votes (kudos) and comments. Please feel free to use the comment section to add any more details to your idea. And as far as bugs go, be sure to report any issues to Bugzilla so they can be tracked properly.

mconca
Employee
Employee

Thanks for your suggestion, we really appreciate every user's feedback.  I'm wondering if you can elaborate more on "fix the bugs."  What issue(s) do you encounter most frequently? And what platform do you see these on (WIndows, Mac, Linux)?

kariku

There could be a selection in settings "preferred session".

People have tabs on their FF browser that they use daily.

Sometimes there is another FF popup window for some special temporary purpose.

If you close the two FF windows in a wrong order, next time when the user starts FF, the special purpose window will come up and the original tab arrangement is lost!

Please add a selection "preferred session" or something like that to the settings where people can save the tab arrangement they like/ use and can update it any time if necessary.

Thanks, Kari

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

jscher2000
Leader

Hi Kariku, this is an interesting idea.

So you would want to be able to designate one window as "last to close" or "keep open" or perhaps be able to create multiple sets of tabs?

I just wanted to add a few comments about how Firefox works right now in case they help you survive the next emergency:

(1) If you exit/quit Firefox using the menu, ALL of the currently open windows (main windows and popup windows) will be restored when your session is restored. This is the safest way to quit to avoid the "order of closing" problem.

(2) If Firefox starts up with only the "wrong" window, you often can recover the last few closed windows from the History menu. Either:

• "3-bar" menu button > History > Recently Closed Windows
  • "Library" toolbar button > History > Recently Closed Windows
  • (menu bar) History > Recently Closed Windows

(3) Firefox has a feature to bookmark all the tabs in the current window as a safety in case your window can't be restored. You may want to use that from time to time as a backup. You can find that using either:

• Ctrl+Shift+D (on Mac, it's Command+Shift+D)
  • (menu bar) Bookmarks > Bookmark all tabs...

Note that the bookmark saves the currently displayed URL and doesn't include the "Back" history of the tab.

After you create that new folder of tabs, to open them all at once, you can either:

• right-click the folder name > Open All Bookmarks
  • expand the folder, then at the bottom, click Open All in Tabs

Rz_1010

Since I am one of the biggest fans of Mozilla Firefox , I think this idea will improve Mozilla Firefox user experience a lot.

I personally have usually around 30 open tabs (I work on several subjects simultaneously) , I suggest you add the ability to save tab sessions , add/remove a tab to/from a saved session , name a specific tab group session , thus I wont need to keep the tabs open , and I would call the tab session to open tabs whenever I need to work on a certain subject .

This also would prevent any problems related to losing tab session (sudden software/hardware shutdown) because it is saved . Rather than relying on Mozilla Firefox's automatic session restore which is not customizable , why not add the ability to make it customizable ?!

I tried a lot of browsers and neither has a good tab session saving feature , and I am sure this would attract more users to Mozilla Firefox.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.