cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheRupp
Strollin' around

Hello,

I was very surprised that Thunderbird does not offer an option to show the e-mail-adress of the sender in a column in the table (like the columns "From" and "Correspondents"). This new column would be very useful to quickly identify spam/junk e-mails.

This feature can be added with add-ons:

This feature seems very basic and simple and like it should not require an add-on.

If you do a Google search for this feature, then you find many people, who have asked for this feature for many years.

125 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Danylo
Strollin' around

THUNDERBIRD: option to choose what to show in the FROM field

thunderbird 102.15.0
windows 10

Hi all,

In the list of incoming emails, the FROM field shows the sender's name.
This can trick the user into opening an email, which contains malware.

Example:
- in the list of incoming emails, I see one that comes from: support AT amazon.com
- when I opened it, I saw that it came from: support AT amazon.com <abcdef AT example.com>

It's malware!

SUGGESTION
I suggest adding an option, to choose what to show in the FROM field. For example:

Show in the FROM field:
(  ) the name
(*) the email address

Danilo

1.jpg2.jpg

Danylo
Strollin' around

I have the same problem.

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Danylo
Strollin' around

Good idea!

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Potentially related idea here: Show full email address when mouse over sender 

MarkBrandis
Strollin' around

Same Problem.

The update introduces a serious security hole.

Martin511
Strollin' around

I agree completely. This function would be extremely important.
As far as I know, the two add-ons mentioned are not compatible with Thunderbird 115. So there is currently no way to see the sender addresses in the overview at all.
I'm not a programmer, but is it really that difficult to add this as an additional column?

MarkBrandis
Strollin' around

Here is a small example of a virus attack when the correct email address is not displayed.

That's why the display on our company computers is set to the "real" email address everywhere.

By the way, Outlook makes the same mistake here too, you have to install a column for the email address.

Here you could take a leaf out of Microsoft's footsteps and not make the same mistake.

https://imgur.com/XNpzqDi 

mjh
Strollin' around

As a retired computer security person I find the loss (addons not working in 115) to be a CRITICAL security issue.  It is the one best way for an ordinary user to spot mail pretending to be what it is not.  Please either add the feature to Thunderbird or allow addons to do so.

PietBelcrum

I would like to have this full address column. So you can see the real address and not the given name.

So I can see who is the real sender and then decide if I would like to read the mail or not.

Like many other I get mail from my "bank" regarding my bankacount which is in reality sent by an odd email address and thse e-mail I cannot see now in the mail listing

Danylo
Strollin' around

SUGGESTION #2
Option, to choose what to show in the FROM field:

What to show in the FROM field:
    If the sender is in your contacts
        (*) show the name, reading from contact
        ( ) show the name, sent by the sender
        ( ) show the email address
    If the sender is not in your contacts
        ( ) show the name, sent by the sender
        (*) show the email address

lightman

Absolutely essential! Goodness knows, surely the TB developers would understand that being able to see the domain part of each address in the mail list is an essential security aid, so one can immediately spot suspect domains associated with familiar names. 

It's ridiculous that TB don't natively support viewing the sender's full email address in the Inbox.

GAJa
Making moves

As a longtime Thunderbird user, I have really wondered why the very basic functionality of showing the real e-mail address from the sender is not a standard feature.

As others also mentioned, the senders name can easily be a fake, and for the unaware this may pose a potential security issue.

For this reason I have always used the 'Full Address Column' add-on, and I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that the add-on was no longer functioning in TB 115. Also, the developer of this add-on was not amused, and states that he has to wait for a change in the TB code for the add-on to be re-enabled (see the description of the author: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/full-address-column/ )

I have immediately switched to 'Betterbird' (a softfork of thunderbird), which has incorporated this functionality by default and I will only consider moving back to TB when this issue will be resolved.

Mars4i
Strollin' around

I fully agree with the others. You can often recognize spam/phishing mails by looking at the original mail address in de mail list. That this column was/is not standard available in Thunderbird is a big miss. And that the add-on that fixed this is not working anymore in version 115 is a big negative point for Thunderbird. Hope the add-on will be fixed or even better, that this option becomes a standard option in Thunderbird.