cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translate This Page beta: bad design that punishes multilingual users with an incessant pop-up

gastello
Making moves

I think it's ok to introduce a new feature like the Translate Page using the "in-your-face" method at first, only once, but there has to be an easy option to disable it permanently and absolutely right there in the very pop-up itself. Not in the Settings, not through digging in the about:config. No and Never Again and Right Now.

99.999% of the time multilingual users, like myself, go to websites in a language they already know, which turns the Translate Page pop-up into borderline harassment of multilingual users when it keeps popping up on every site without a clear and permanent way of disabling it for good.

Someone needs to reassess their line of thinking on this feature. Even if I land on a website of an unknown to me language, I don't wan this pop-up. This is extremely rare though, because normally I would choose a language I do know, for example on Wikipedia.

Overall, I'm struggling to understand who the target audience is for the intrusive Translate Page feature. It feels like someone who's not actually multilingual designed this feature. Maybe it was designed by someone multilingual, but for a very narrow usage scenario. Maybe someone at Mozilla loves incessant pop-ups that interrupt their user's work, in which case kindly please keep those people away from the user interface in general.

Right now, it just feels like I'm being harassed and punished for being multilingual. That's exactly what the Translate Page feature feels like the way it's currently being presented.

3 REPLIES 3

ExtraYu
Making moves

Agventvirtuel thanks for the topic with solution, but i have to admit that this feature is very annoying and without an option for the user to disable it in the options menu it looks like "WE TOLD YOU HOW YOU MUST SEE YOUR PREFERRED WEBPAGES !!". Question for the support: hope this feature will be fixed in nearest updates ?

monahakomaa
Making moves

Agreed.

I think this is one of the first times when I am genuinely disappointed with Mozilla. Why do I have to use a config option to turn this off? I am not interested in this feature. It gives nothing to me.

Mozilla, PLEASE GIVE US AN OPTION IN SETTINGS TO TURN THIS OFF.