cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private windows would best always look like private windows

CharlesBelov
Making moves

There is a forum post Private Windows on Firefox which was posted just under two years ago. I can't seem to be able to post a comment on it, so I'm posting a new discussion here.

On that post, Romain Testard asks "How can we make private windows simpler to use so you engage with them more?" and follows that with "What could we do to help users feel like private Windows guarantee a higher level of privacy?"

For me, part of the answer is, don't make me spend any part of my brain power wondering whether I'm in a private window or not. Let me focus on the sites I'm attempting to use privately.

I have about a dozen different Firefox profiles I use in order to have a different experience on certain websites or reduce cross-site cookie sharing. I sometimes use private browsing in those profiles, but it is not my default behavior in those profiles.

Recently, I created a profile for use with sites for which I only want to use private browsing. I discovered to my annoyance that using the private browsing only setting removes all visual indication that I'm using private browsing.

Apparently at some point in the past somebody thought removing that indication was a good idea. Quoting from a response to my bug If I have Firefox set to always use Private Browsing, I never get the private browsing disclaimer or...:

"The current behavior is that we are making the permanent private browsing mode look like a normal browsing window in order to reduce confusion. Therefore, we don't show private browsing specific things in the never remember history mode(which is permanent private browsing mode literally), including the warning message here. If we want to show the private browsing warning for the permanent private browsing mode, we will need to label all windows as private browsing windows in permanent private browsing mode. That's a design decision that we agasint."

Actually, I find the current behavior more confusing, not less. Because I spend most of my Firefox time in non-private tabs, not seeing the Private Browsing look when I expect and want to see it causes me to divert a portion of my attention to reminding myself that I actually am in private browsing. I wind up going into settings to confirm that I am in private browsing or opening the file menu to verify that I can only open a new private window. This wastes my time and distracts me from my task.

It's really important to me that private windows look like private windows. So I wound up disabling that setting and instead for that profile chose a local home page which reminds me to open a private window.

Hiding private window styling might make sense for someone who only uses private browsing, but that person is not me.

6 REPLIES 6

jscher2000
Leader

As a short term workaround, you could apply different theme to your toolsbars in that profile. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-themes-change-look-of-firefox

If you use Sync, to prevent your theme setting from sync'ing, make this change:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste services.sync.prefs.sync.extensions.activeThemeID and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false

That's it.

CharlesBelov
Making moves

Thank you for the suggestion. That said, I wouldn't trust something that was simply manually theming outside of Firefox's native code.

CharlesBelov
Making moves

Actually, the profile that I want to be private only is for sites I want to be most secure on, so I want that profile to be as close to native as I can manage. Fooling with the appearance via external theming defeats that purpose. That's also why the current appearance raised my anxiety level when I tried to use it.

@CharlesBelov wrote:

Actually, the profile that I want to be private only is for sites I want to be most secure on, so I want that profile to be as close to native as I can manage. Fooling with the appearance via external theming defeats that purpose. That's also why the current appearance raised my anxiety level when I tried to use it.

You could use Alpenglow. It's built in.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

For my part, i am always under use private browsing mode
We lost the Private Navigation indication in the tabs

I remember that (illustration)
Firefox version 78 always under use private browsing mode

1.png

A trick to find out if you're in private browsing mode
Type about:cache in the address bar
Go to memory and click on List Cache Entries, where you'll find information about privateBrowsingId

1.png

An illustration https://doctolib.zendesk.com/hc/fr/articles/115000092046-Les-navigateurs-et-système-d-exploitation-c...

1.png
https://forums.mozfr.org/viewtopic.php?p=942751#p942751

Other indicator (by way of example) https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/the-home-page/idc-p/56096 to test in your profil

1.png

Agentvirtuel
Contributor