cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow blocking of cookies and clear data on exit to both be persistent.

Firefoxsucks
Making moves

Firefox shouldn't store site data settings in site data.

Clear on exit shouldn't wipe application settings.

I should be able to block site data while browsing (block cookies and site data for googletagmgr.com, adobetm.com etc) and be able to clear the cookies and site data on exit.  Otherwise sites like those mentioned can track me while I'm browsing and connect real identities accross web properties.

My bank, netflix, youtube and a few others use google tag manager which allows them to correlate who I am accross domains unless I block cookies and site data storage for google tag manager, or I clear data on exit and only ever open Firefox to browse to ONE website only and reopen to continue to other websites.

Move the Firefox settings for site data exceptions to any persistent storage that isn't wiped to maintain online privacy.  By not allowing blocking of cookies and clearing dta on exit you make your browser less privacy minded.

Also: allow me to not have a search bar and not have search in my address bar, I want to not have both.

6 REPLIES 6

jscher2000
Leader

You can customize the "Clear history when Firefox closes" feature using the Settings button. Make sure you do not add a check for "Site settings" to avoid deleting your exceptions list.

Fx107-Settings-clear-history-site-settings.png

@Firefoxsucks wrote:

Also: allow me to not have a search bar and not have search in my address bar, I want to not have both.

What do you want to happen when you type in the address bar? For example:

• Turn off search engine suggestions and never send anything to your default search engine
  • Above plus turn off other kinds of suggestions
  • Something else

There are settings for those things, but rather than write an essay, let me know exactly what you need.

Thanks for the reply,

How do I make sure site settings are reset to my default block all permissions when restarting and any changes I've made are reset every time I re-open firefox? 

On the 2nd:

I don't use suggestions, I have all suggestions tips etc off.  All prefetch & preloading is off too.
When I type in the Address Bar I want it to work like an address bar: protocol, server.domain,directory path.  I don't want it to do anything but be an address bar.  If I want to search for something I open a new tab with my search box in the page.

I want my address bar to only accept valid URLs and I don't want the extra search bar in my browser menu/bar areas.

@Firefoxsucks wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

How do I make sure site settings are reset to my default block all permissions when restarting and any changes I've made are reset every time I re-open firefox? 

Are you using the Enhanced Tracking Protection, Custom level, Cookie blocking setting to block all cookies by default? That shouldn't be changed by closing/reopening Firefox.

If you make exceptions during your session, checking the box in the dialog I mentioned earlier will clear the exceptions when you restart the browser.

I don't use suggestions, I have all suggestions tips etc off.  All prefetch & preloading is off too.
When I type in the Address Bar I want it to work like an address bar: protocol, server.domain,directory path.  I don't want it to do anything but be an address bar.  If I want to search for something I open a new tab with my search box in the page.

I want my address bar to only accept valid URLs and I don't want the extra search bar in my browser menu/bar areas.

Here's how you can prevent Firefox from automatically sending text that isn't formatted like a URL to your default search engine:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste keyword.enabled and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false

After that change, if you submit foo in the address bar, you should get an error that the server wasn't found.

To remove the optional classic short search bar from the address bar, right-click the magnifying glass icon at the left end of it and click Remove From Toolbar. You also can use the Settings page (https://support.mozilla.org/kb/how-search-from-address-bar).

Anonymous
Not applicable

My bank, netflix, youtube and a few others use google tag manager which allows them to correlate who I am accross domains unless I block cookies and site data storage
  • Firefox isolates third-party cookies and site data by default now. When open your bank site, Google scripts can't see the cookies they created when you were on Youtube. You have no reason to worry about this anymore
  • Google can still store tracking information on its own servers. Use either uBlock Origin or AdGuard to block connections to ads and all kinds of trackers

Thank you for the insightful information. I offer online class help and I am used to seeing information about ad blockers on my browser.

Wtf_happened
Making moves

The Firefox mobile site no longer has an exit command on the menu and fails to clear history and session cookies upon closure. It never logs out. Where did that go?