cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KERR
Making moves

Currently I'm doing research on a heap of products, and collating into an online spreadsheet. I'm wearing out the Ctrl+Tab keys flicking back and forth, copying/pasting etc!

It would be awesome to "pop-out" a tab and have it "float" on top like what Picture-in-Picture does. I know you can the tab in a new window, resize it, move it etc but it still doesn't stick on-top and has borders that take up space.

KERR_0-1649727846456.png

I've seen extensions that try to do split screen for tabs but they don't seem to work very well. Thanks!

31 Comments
KERR
Making moves

(Re-)posting this as my last idea has gone AWOL.

Prior to the move to web-extensions, there were (clunky) add-ons that could divide the browser into two or more panes. This was especially useful since most people have widescreens and the modern web (aka mobile-first) wastes space on the sides. Unfortunately, web extensions has crippled these add-ons and we're stuck "tiling" or "cascading" windows like it's 1995!

Please allow us to view 2, 3, 4 or more pages at once, this will allow huge productivity gains.

MS is experimenting with this in Edge:

KERR_2-1675250442215.png

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/01/24/microsoft-is-testing-a-split-mode-in-edge/

Vivaldi showing how its done (viewing three tabs at once!):

KERR_0-1675250416133.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn0xiF6t8zw

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @KERR ... I think your previous post is in moderation (perhaps after an edit). Let me approve it and make it public again so you don't lose votes, comments, etc.

Okay, it should be visible here: Split-screen/Tab-in-Tab feature (view more than one tab at once) 

KERR
Making moves
kkim
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions and feedback in this thread. (And thank you, @KERR, for being an awesome OP!)  Really loving the group exchange here.

I'm happy to say that we've been investigating ways we could implement a prototype of the "floating" tab pop-out idea you brought up. It's time for Firefox to improve our tab management/layout experience. Times have changed from users focusing on a single active tab, especially in light of (as you mentioned) the Split Tab feature emerging in Edge and other browsers.

Will keep you all posted on concrete developments here. Wish us luck! 🤗 🦊

FirefoxEnjoyer
Familiar face

Well I think this idea is great idea if Firefox also had a snap layouts like Windows 11 inside the browser that would be really good I also had the idea to ask the Firefox Devs to add in a Tabs Dash Board so you can see a Dash Board of all of your open tabs. See the KDE Team can add Split view to their File Manger Dolphin then its not impossible for the Firefox team to do the same with their browser.

KERR
Making moves

This feature has recently been productionised in Edge, and it's excellent! Surprising seeing it work this well given it's Microsoft 🙂

Here's hoping for FF soon! 🙏

Emert11

I just discovered the split mode in edge and it is a game changer in both professional and private life. This development should be prioritized asap.

FirefoxEnjoyer
Familiar face

Yeah the KDE Team had it in the Dolphin File Manger for quite a while I knew browser developers would eventually catch on to it. Now all I'm still waiting on some bug fixes and some better features in Firefox. I know this feature would be good for Firefox I also have a list of other ideas https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/some-proposals-and-changes-that-i-would-like-to-see-in-fi...

•  But what I would like to see is a Tab Overview/Tab Dash Board The Gnome Team can do it with their apps so can Mozilla with Firefox.
  • Snap Layouts this is from Windows 11 but in a way Firefox could use it.
  • Split View (KDE Plasma Dolphin File Manger)
  • Workspaces came also from Operating Systems/Desktop Environments (Gnome 2, MATE) (Ubuntu MATE) (Microsoft Edge) (Windows 10) (Windows 11).

okay_okay
Making moves

Yes! A split screen feature would be great.

Askzidane

Split screen

I really like split screen on Microsoft Edge. Can you please give us that? thanks