cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathieu
Strollin' around

The official documentation still issues a warning with respect to Maildir:

Warning: We suggest you leave Maildir disabled unless you are an advanced user, willing to risk your data, and know how to back up your email before turning on Maildir and how to restore it if you run into problems.

There is even a long-standing (meta) issue on Bugzilla on this topic.
It would be good to see this coming true and available for regular users.
6 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

nulll
Strollin' around

Maildir would be better also for incremental backups.

Mathieu
Strollin' around

Indeed. There seems to be only advantages for the use of Maildir, but noone in its right mind would do it with such a warning.

roenni
Strollin' around

I would happy if MailDir (eml) could be finished so that it can be used safely.
I'm switching from Apple Mail to TB at the moment and with the issues of TB 102.0 with mbox I was really worried about all my archived local emails. Separated files would help to keep 'worst case disaster' in limits.

jonzuchin

I fully agree. I've been using it with no problems so far, but it would be nice to make sure it's fully developed.

MattAuSupport
Familiar face

I would just like to point out it is a maildir like implementation.  It has never been intended to be maildir.

Other than that, I agree. it is a much-needed enhancement to the core functionality.  Getting away from monolithic files that clog up backups,  make the system unresponsive while antivirus scans etc fiddle with huge files that change often.  Completion is long overdue.