cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryant

I'm developing a progressive web app that supports an offline mode. I'm trying to emulate the app being offline mode, but I can't figure out (easily) how to set the network to "Offline"

This is the current Network Throttling drop down options:

ryant_0-1663262831633.png

In Chromium browsers, it's just another option in the Network Throttling drop down:

ryant_1-1663262961846.png

11 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Xzenor
Strollin' around

Firefox doesn't support progressive web apps so why are you using Firefox for this at all?

Honza
Employee
Employee

Hey Ryant, thank you for the comment. Yes, this would be useful feature and it's been already requested, see this report: Bug 1029203 - Emulate being offline

In the meantime, you can use the main Firefox menu "File -> Work Offline" to switch to the offline mode.

Honza

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good news...

This idea was shared with our engineering team, and we're happy to report that they're reviewing it for potential adoption. Please reference @Honza's response for some info and stay tuned for updates.

-The Community Team

Paw

Where in Firefox is "File" menu?

nose_gnome
Making moves

This would be extremely useful.  The other day I was testing the security of an app that had an offline option which would allow you to use the website without internet, and it would be useful being able to make a single tab not use internet, especially if you're trying to look up stuff about what you're doing or listening to something while testing a website which has an offline mode

keul

An important side note: using the "Work offline" menu item is not the same as a super useful throttle option. This put online every Firefox instance!

I tried to use it in an anonymous window and it made me offline also in the main Firefox window (where I was in a Google meet session).

Honza
Employee
Employee

> Where in Firefox is "File" menu?

Right click on the (empty) tab area (next to a tab) and pick "Menu Bar" menu action to show the menu.

Honza

Honza_0-1687168705318.png

Irvin
Strollin' around

This feature had been released on Fx120

Honza
Employee
Employee

Yes, the offline mode is now supported and part of the "Throttling" drop down. See the attached screenshot, the offline 'option' is at the bottom of the list.

Honza_0-1701079301849.png