cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
batata
Strollin' around

When opening the password manager, I think it might be useful to pre-fill the search field with the domain name of the active tab.

For example, if I open the password manager right now, it should directly pre-populate with "mozilla.org" because chances are that's what I'm looking for!

6 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Serg
Employee
Employee

@batata  thank you for sharing your idea with us! I can definitely see the value in this feature, but I also see how it can confuse other users. Not everyone will be noticing that search box is pre-populated and it will cause false alarms "my passwords are gone!". I can imagine a user receiving an email from Firefox Monitor informing them that their bank site had a breach, user clicks on Firefox menu > Passwords and gets a short list of logins filtered to their email website only.

However, there are improvements we can make to make it easier to navigate to logins for specific site. We can think of adding a way to navigate to autocomplete dropdown. This is where most users see their logins on a daily basis.

Another option (and perhaps this is exactly what you are suggesting) is to select login based on the current site, but not filter the list.

What do you think?

batata
Strollin' around

@Serghmm, I hadn't thought about all that to be honest, but yeah, having the first login of current site automatically selected would be perfectly fine.

ripov

where two or more users have accounts at the same URL it would help if FF (which alreadyoffers a choice of emails)offered passwords(Ithinkyou call them logins) appropriate to the seperate accounts,ie person1 would choose email1, and the password field would be prepopulated with password1- this would avoid the inconvenienceof changing users on a shared machine

issam
Employee
Employee

Heyo everyone ! I am thrilled to announce that we shipped a feature that allows preselecting logins from both the Firefox menu and password manager popup. This enhancement aims to improve user experience by making it faster and more convenient to access and use passwords. This feature is currently available on Nightly.

Thank you @batata and @ripov for your active participation and for contributing great ideas to Firefox 😁

More details in the Bugzilla ticket here.

Status changed to: Delivered
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good news...

This has been delivered—check out @issam's post in this thread for more info.

Looking forward to continuing to collaborate with you all here on Mozilla Connect 🙌

Share your next great idea