cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertlipp

I like to check my work emails on my iPhone and then delete them on the phone and save them ONLY on my work desktop. However, I cannot delete them on the phone because they are then automatically deleted on the server which reaches up to my desktop and deletes them even after they are downloaded. This is an awful feature I have not been able to overcome! I would like to prevent the server from quietly deleting emails on my desktop. This is not a feature for me but a GIANT BUG!

I have changed sync settings to maximum age. I can then archive them on the phone but not delete them. A very poor alternative.

The email client is Microsoft on GoDaddy.

Thank you.

9 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

MattAuSupport
Familiar face

The whole basis of the IMAP protocol is to synchronise mail over multiple devices.  It sounds to me like you do not want to synchronisation between devices and actually should be using the POP mail protocol, probably on your phone so that mail does not syncronise.

Using POP downloads the content of the inbox and in no way synchronises with any other device.  It is a local copy of your mail.  Be it on your phone or your local computer.

Toolworker
Strollin' around

AquaMail on Android has a Smart Folder that can be configured to hide messages that have been read. I don't know whether that is in the iOS version.

agedbikeman

I have been using thunderbird for years , but recently my IP has gone to IMAP and I cannot find any way of reverting it to pop3, looks to me like they have ditched pop3

I get more unwanted emails than wanted ones, so I use mailwasher to select the ones I want.

I must now look for an email client that has this feature, so it looks like goodbye thunderbird and many people I know are of the same opinion, unless of course you listen to your public and find a way of turning off and on syncronisation.

Always been happy with pop3

Alex

MattAuSupport
Familiar face

@ToolworkerThunderbird has had the capability to show only unread messages on a per-folder basis almost forever.  Certainly for the 15 years I have used it.  I use it daily to the point I have customized the toolbar to show the item that switches between read, All tags and Custom views.

MattAuSupport
Familiar face

@agedbikemanHave they abandoned POP?  Like so many folks, you make that assertion, but you don't indicate what provider has been so short-sighted.  Because Thunderbird defaults to creating an IMAP account, unless you ask it to do otherwise,  many folk "think"  that they can not have POP when they can.

Aside from that, Thunderbird has an offline mode in which no mail comes or goes.  Perhaps you should try it.  It has been a part of Thunderbird since at least version 2.

If you have the menu bar enabled, you will find it on the File menu.  If you do not have the menu bar enabled, press F10 to make it visible while you select the option.

agedbikeman

When writing programs, why not use default option offering POP or IMAP and you cannot continue until you have selected.

Programmers seem to delight in using defaults that mess up users settings leaving them baffled as to what to do. we are not all computer boffins, just ordinary people wanting to use their computers without waisting countless hours trying to get it back to how they like it.

You seem to have numerous people unhappy after updating, and I assume many people like me, still use outdated versions of programmes for fear of what horrors an update will unleash, waisting hours of valuable time.

"If it aint broke, dont fix it."

Adjust it but don't wreck it.

MattAuSupport
Familiar face

@agedbikemanWhen you create an account you are asked do you want to create an imap or pop account. IMAP is selected and will be used it you are not capable of making an informed decision, or do not bother to actually read what the dialog is saying and just click done.  But the account is not created until you click done.  See the image below.

As I said before, you make assertions that are unsubstantiated by facts.

MattAuSupport_0-1706694537823.png

agedbikeman

I have had an account for many years, all I did was accept the update offered to me and thats when the troubles started, it completely blocked pop3, all the other updates have continued with most of the settings that I had configured, including POP3. I found out quite by accident that I had to completely delete my account and start from the beginning to be offered POP3. Never in my wildest dream did I think I would have to delete an old established account after an update.
This was my gripe, If someone would have told me I would have done it immediately and saved myself a lot of hassle