cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k3ll4gr0up

You write in the Hubs docs:
Hubs Cloud allows you to run your own hub on a private server.

And then at the bottom of the page:
Currently, Hubs Cloud is offered on AWS and DigitalOcean.

You seem to have a weird definition of "private server". 
When will I be able to run Hubs on a private server that is located in my basement?!

Cloud servers are anything but "private".

5 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

liv
Employee
Employee

Hi there!

It is already possible to self-host Hubs on an on-premise server, though the steps to do so vary depending on your desired configuration and requires configuring different parts of the stack independently. We have several discussion threads on GitHub with pointers on how to do so.

Thank you for your feedback on the term "private". It's one that has different meanings to folks (in this case, private to the account hosting the server, rather than being maintained by Mozilla's account) so I've submitted a PR to update that page on the documentation site to be more specific. 

MattBCool
Employee
Employee

@k3ll4gr0upwant to add to the discussion here and warmly welcome you to a sub-community in our developer channels with folks running Hubs on their own metal called #dev-self-hosting. We would love some help in writing documentation for others on how to get set-up, there are a few documents out there but no tutorials on self-hosting in our community blog, Creator Labs, yet.

for a real world example of a self-hosted (no cloud service) Hubs, check out what the team at Raumwelten Festival accomplished.

thank you for your post!

coucou

+1 with k3ll4group seem more "commercial" than open source.

Why there are not basic Doc /deployment script for ex for selfhosted for basic config.

What conposant in tre docker.

MattBCool
Employee
Employee

Good updates to share for @k3ll4gr0up, @coucou and others reading this thread.

Community Edition was launched a little over a month ago. CE makes it easier to deploy the Hubs stack on Linux-based infra with less intensive research and the whole 'build your own pathway' that others had to figure out on their own to successfully deploy on their own metal.

The Hubs team is working with the community to publish more documentation so people can deploy it using their preferred method with guides for the Kubernetes/Docker setup. There are folks working on helm charts, tutorials for self-hosting and using various cloud services released or in progress. More info here: https://hubs.mozilla.com/labs/welcoming-community-edition/

I expect the Hubs team will be promoting the release of community documentation as it comes out over the next couple months on LinkedIn, in the Hubs discord and twitter(X).

I'm sure any contributions or notes towards the end of helping to document various community edition configs would be much appreciated in the community.