cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaleEltoft

I'm a big fan of the tab sharing function but it can be difficult to identify my other devices when sharing a tab from my Android phone's Firefox. When the devices are identified the text "Firefox on" is inserted into the naming text. As a consequence the unique portion of that text is shifted beyond the length of truncation and therefore lost. Is it necessary to insert the "Firefox on" text? Could it possibly be made a part of the icon or put at the end?

Screenshot_20220925-102437_Firefox.jpg

5 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

jscher2000
Leader

One workaround I can suggest now is to edit your Device Name on the Account/Sync settings for each installation of Firefox.

DaleEltoft

Thanks for the suggestion which can help me but my desire is to improve the app for everyone.

KevinBrosnan
Employee
Employee

We are aware of this, it is not a simple fix. Finding an automatic method of generating a useful name for the device name is hard. See https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/issues/15170 for our thoughts. As a start we might remove the username part.

DaleEltoft

Since the function is to send the tab to a device, the device name should be adequate. But perhaps I'm overlooking the case where there are multiple users on a single device.

Also I assume this is a Firefox function only, so adding the information that the tab is being sent to Firefox seems unnecessary.