cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greyguy
Strollin' around

I appreciate the effort and work that has gone into Firefox Suggest, but I find that it obscures and hides the real source of the found URLs. One no longer has any way to know if it's from the browser history or bookmarks or, potentially, from external sources. "Have I visited page X before?" With Firefox Suggest, I can't tell.

The many potential sources for "Firefox Suggest" makes it like an opaque black box in everyday use. And even if external sources are disabled, the fact that there even exists a doubt, as "Firefox Suggest" is presented as a "catch-it-all" concept, is itself a problem.

So a constructive idea: it would be very comforting if at least local results would be clearly indicated in the results in the address bar. And preferably also bring back the distinction of "history" and "bookmarks".

Thanks for considering it! 🙂 Love Firefox! ❤

3 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

jscher2000
Leader

Currently, the bookmark suggestions are indicated with an overlaid blue star. It is more difficult to identify the occasional extra entry that is not from your history, but currently they have a little circle-i icon at the right end of the row which leads to information about that suggestion. Normal history doesn't have that.

Fx106-address-bar-firefox-suggest.png

Should there be a different icon (on the left side) for those items? Or a different section of the drop-down?

greyguy
Strollin' around

Thanks for replying, @jscher2000 and sorry for my late reply.

For me, it's the word "suggest" in Firefox Suggest that repeatedly gives me wrong associations.

The semantics of "suggest" brings to mind all the "suggestions" we get online: from social media and advertisements to search engines. It makes me think that the results is something that Firefox (or the company Mozilla?) thinks I should visit, not something originated from my own activities (history/bookmarks).

In other words: for me, "Firefox suggest" indicates a lower integrity result, than what the words  "Browsing history" or "Bookmarks" would.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with my thoughts or do I just have weird associations? 😂