cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BThomi

Although I prefer to use the firefox browser, unfortunately it drains the battery on my laptop. A battery saving version would be nice in the future.

24 Comments
Status changed to: Exploring more
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This idea has been reviewed by our team and it is something we are exploring as a possible option— though we unfortunately can't provide any clear timeline at the moment.

Please continue the conversation here and stay tuned for more updates 🙌

Thanks!

sbritorodr
Strollin' around

Maybe another firefox version could be hard to maintain since there is already some versions Mozilla is already maintaining. Maybe an option to reduce characteristics or be slower but more power saver. Brave does this pretty well, so it's an interesting option

ildomandatore
Making moves

Could you make a low-power version? I'm sensitive to electricity and I like being in front of the Mac. Even for work. Unfortunately, health collapses drastically. Without browsers open, health improves. Furthermore, the browser has always heated up the mac a lot when playing online video games. I like Seamonkey for how fast it instantly opens the browser. Games ran better than firefox. I can't tell you if I was physically better in front of the Mac using Seamonkey. I stopped using it because it didn't matter the bookmarks of other browsers.

I removed all addons from firefox to reduce power consumption, but it's still high.

A low power consumption version of firefox not only improves people's health, but the laptop battery lasts longer and we save money.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)

KERR
Making moves

Torrent software often has a speed limiter toggle.

Maybe Firefox could have a "eco" 🍃 toggle that limits CPU to 75% or something so it doesn't annihilate batter if a tab goes rogue.

It would need to be very obvious so people would know FF is not running at full performance, maybe even on a timer.

Sleeping inactive tabs will also help here:

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/firefox-should-suspend-tabs-to-better-performance/idi-p/6255

bemymonkey

Anything that goes towards power reduction will be helpful - that includes notifying the user of background (and possibly even foreground) tabs that consume a lot of power (or CPU cycles) when on battery power. Automagically hibernating background tabs (maybe with a whitelist for tabs you expect notifications from) would also be an excellent start. Rounding this out with a way to throttle foreground tabs' timers etc. and disable animations until they're clicked on while on battery would pretty much complete my entire wish list...

Krazy
Making moves

Very nice suggestion 😉

It could be added as a battery saving feature that extends battery life by between 20~25% without sacrificing performance. When browsing on a laptop without being able to connect it to power, it is a great advantage to be able to save battery, especially when you need the device for work and study.

jfopps

I agree with most here. I think a lite version of Firefox or some sort of mode toggle to be a bit more power efficient would be a great addition for us laptop users.

jvikramsrd

battery saver for windows and linux

make a battery saver and memory saver feature for firefox to make it further efficient and to recommend to other people with laptops because it battery life is very much important to all laptop users who use their laptops unplugged

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.