cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueIronKnuckle
Making moves

There are a lot of great products and services out there that you can subscribe to.  Mozilla has some of them, NextDNS, Mullavand, ProtonMail, Floatplane, Kagi, Ente, etc, etc.  As Google has come under more scrutiny in recent years, for better or worse, more options are becoming available.

I would like to be able to pay, or financially support, these projects or products, but there are two problems.

First, I have to keep track of all of them.  Between the commercial and open sources services, that's seven different accounts in seven different places that I have to keep track of, each with their own password and payment model.  I would like to consolidate those offerings into a single, bundled service that automatically gives me accounts for all of them, with one interface, one password, and one place I can pay.

Second, although none are very expensive, it adds up quickly.  I would like to bundle these things together in a discounted fashion to make them affordable.

Imagine having a "Mozilla Privacy Bundle" that included Mozilla VPN, Focus, ProtonMail, NextDNS, uBlock, and Kagi, all with one central login and one central payment.  It would avoid having to create accounts on all of them.  Now imagine I had the same thing for the smaller video providers out there, like Floatplane, Vimeo, Brilliant, and Peercast.  These are all smaller service providers struggling to compete with big tech.

Another area that would make this more attractive is local news.  Local newspapers and radio stations are hurting, so adding subscriptions in for them would help them too!

The biggest goal with this, though, is to decouple the web from ad revenue.  We may all have different feelings about ad blockers, but there's no question that ad revenue drives the web.  If people had a way to directly support the web with a single payment method, places like Phoronix, Tom's Hardware, and the (now defunct) AnandTech wouldn't have to choose between respecting their users' privacy and keeping the lights on!

I'm willing to help out with the development.  I'm missing the relationships with these companies.  Mozilla, though, is a big enough name that we can maybe do it if we try!

RFC....

2 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager