cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
triatic

I love Thunderbird and it has replaced Outlook (classic) for me, but there's one feature I miss, AutoArchive.

In Outlook (classic), emails older than x days can be automatically moved out of the server folders and into local folders, freeing up server storage space and negating the need to pay for additional cloud storage.

Thunderbird has the ability to select a group of messages in any folder and right-click > Archive (move) them to the matching Local Folder: perfect! But manually selecting multiple messages older than x days in multiple IMAP folders and selecting "Archive" is a chore too far.

Thunderbird should natively have the ability to (optionally) iterate across all IMAP folders and "Archive" any message older than x days, according to the Message Archives setting in Account Settings > Copies & Folders. The Disk Space setting in Account Settings could be an ideal place to add an "Archive messages more than x days old" option, since it already has a "Delete messages more than x days old" option.

Note: I know about the AutoarchiveReloaded add-on, but for something as important as shifting emails around with the possible breakage that could occur, and the possibility of the add-on being discontinued, native support would be very much welcome.

Another note: this has of course been raised on bugzilla,[1] but it's a 15 year old bug and seemingly unlikely to come to fruition.

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=536169

2 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Cherilm93
Making moves

Actually in the filter function you can send emails anywhere and even delete messages if you wanted, just make your own archive. I like to send them to a folder and select which ones to keep from there and delete what I don't want in that folder once it is off the server. Thunderbird does ask you how long to keep emails on the server before deleting them. Does that help any? It's all in the account settings.