cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJCactus

On a phone, when you scroll, it automatically hides the address bar and everything on it, to go 'full-screen'. I would love this on my laptop. That when I scroll, or even just sit on a webpage for a moment, the URL bar will smoothly transition into being 'hidden'.  I want to be clear: I do NOT want to use the fullscreen, CTRL + F11 function, because then my Windows task bar is not accessible. Fullscreen browsing and a hidden task bar are currently not compatible. I have a userChrome.css file that gets the job done, but I would like official Firefox support!

10 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

blargthebar

I love this idea, I feel like you could even have it come back on screen if the user moved their mouse off the top of the screen.  This would be nice especially since oled monitors are becoming cheaper and an item more and more users will have.  Any thing to help cut down on screen burn in would be great!

hardinof
Making moves

Autohide Search Navigation bar

Is there any way to auto hide the navigation bar.  I will get more space to work if it hides automatically after entering the site or put any button to hide and show the navigation bar.

krm
Making moves

This is a screenshot of compact mode. Mostly we don't need the address bar, why not have option to just auto-hide the "address bar", which pops up when mouse touches the top screen and on new tabs.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)

BlebinMawnor

I would like this as well. This would be helpful especially when sharing a screen with other programs. When FireFox is Fullscreen, it removes the address bar as well as the tabs. It would be nice to have an optional setting to replicate this feature without fullscreen.

BlebinMawnor

I also would like this feature. It would be especially nice when sharing a screen with other apps. Since another app is taking up valuable real estate, it would be helpful to hide the address/tab bar. (Picture shown is an example without the address/tab bar).

FireFox_No_Address_Bar.png

howiejc
Strollin' around

Auto-hide while in windowed mode (not just fullscreen) is such an obvious and simple yet extremely useful feature that a ton of users would utilize.

This would help make Firefox stand out from the crowd.

robertscott56

As of my last update in January 2022, Firefox does not have a built-in feature to automatically hide the address bar when scrolling, similar to how it behaves on mobile devices. However, you can achieve a similar effect using custom userChrome.css modifications, as you've mentioned.

If you're looking for official support or a built-in feature within Firefox itself, you may want to consider submitting a feature request to Mozilla through their official channels, such as their Bugzilla platform or their Firefox UserVoice page. These platforms allow users to suggest new features and improvements directly to the Firefox development team.

In the meantime, you can continue to use your userChrome.css modifications to achieve the desired behavior. Alternatively, you can explore browser extensions or third-party software that may offer similar functionality. However, always exercise caution when installing extensions or modifying browser settings to ensure the security and stability of your browsing experience.

astrolabio
Strollin' around

The whole URL bar should disappear (single option in options menu) and appear only on CTRL+L or mouse over special region(s) or corner(s).

Correct marketing for this improvement in screen real estate and unobstructed looks would help Firefox become number one once again.