cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidsk
Making moves

I volunteer on SUMO and regularly see complaints from those who WANT to donate but do not because of the unnecessary information that is required. People can buy and donate everywhere else and their name, their credit card information is sufficient, except for some political donations. Simplify this. Review the perceived need for the extra information, and then stop requiring it. A person's street address is never needed. Thank you.

26 Comments
martago
Making moves

I just updated Thunderbird email client to the latest 102.5.1 version and as a result of the conclusion of the update, I was forwarded to a donation page. I tried to do the suggested 20 GBP donation but then it appeared a web page requesting too many personal details, such as name, address, email, etc.

As in current times it is more frequent to read news about major web sites being hacked and all personal data stolen, I would suggest that you refrain yourself from trying to get personal data, in the end you may collect more donations, as it would be in my case. I am sorry but I did not proceed with the donation.

laugher
Making moves

FWIW, every year I've tried to put in a donation.

This year, I am going to politely decline as the support channels in Thunderbird has been less than impressive. I have questions I have in the support forums that just sits there for months and months without even a view (1 view only) and no response.

Until Mozilla can get its act together to support Thunderbird properly, besides the issue with collection of personal data above from the OP, I am afraid they will see more like me who will eventually drop Thunderbird and move to other (properly) supported email clients.

Cheers.

Dinosaur1946

Ditto

Michael_L
Making moves

It's 6 months later and I just had the same experience.  I went through the PayPal process, and when it returned to the Thunderbird page it asked me for more information "so we can contact you about your donation". 

I don't need you to do that, and I don't want you to either.  Since this was not optional - I had to fill in the address to continue, and a "123 NoMailPlease Street" address "could not be verified" I just backed out again.

Mozilla, you'll have my donation if you make it easier.

StreetFighter74

Hi Thunderbird developers,

I glad to support your great work and effort by donate you a sum of money. However, the donation process require me to provide too much personal information, such as my name, email address and physical address, which is too much for me for a donation. Please simplify your donation process and let those personal data optional but not compulsory.

Hope you can hear my voice.

elmerSmeckert

I agree!  
The ONLY reason to want my physical address is to monetize it.
I DO NOT WANT ANY JUNK MAIL.

At least with e-mail I can use the spammers address. (An account I only look at when "I" need something.

BertVis

For me the same: willing to donate but not to share personal information.

What makes you ask for it?

How can I donate without fillingout my name, adress etc?

oeconormal

I didn't even get to the point where beeing asked for informations.

• Minimum monthly donation 5 Euro, whith no client for iOS available? Compare to other apps!
  • Is there no bank for you, that would donate the transaction costs? Let me make regular donations from my bank account with no extra fees.
xtedx

totally agree. i wanted to donate but refuse to give an address, not able to use non existant address either.
please allow us to donate anonymously, or maximum an email address.

DonReba
Making moves

Went to donate today, but when it asked for my address, backed out. Although, after a while, I, grudgingly, went back, filled it out, and donated.