cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steel835
Familiar face

[Crowdicity: Full controls on Picture in Picture mode window, 109 votes atm, "Mozilla developing"]

Currently PiP window can only offer 3 buttons (4 if you turn on the mute button in config). Additionally it can rewind videos, but you can only do that with arrow buttons.

It would be a lot more intuitive if PiP window provided an interface, similar to default browser video control panel with a few additions

pip controls proposal.png

My concept is on the screenshot, where 

• bottom panel allows you to pause/unpause, seek video, control volume, go fullscreen, etc
  • at the top-left there is a favicon and page(tab) title from where this video is playing. Clicking it would bring you to that tab, but the PiP window would stay open (for cases, when you need to click something on website js player, etc).
  • at the top-right there are buttons that close this window with opening the original tab and without

Top elements have some space between them and edges so you are able to use this space to drag the window too (aside from area in the middle). Black bars on the screenshot are a part of video, but for videos without them, top elements, when shown, would have soft shading (to be able to see them).

There's also a discussion, created by Mozilla team about this and other video features:How can we make video experience in Firefox better for you? 

49 Comments
ad91arawi

picture in picture playback control

Hi

is there a way to add playback controls on picture in picture feature? like a progress bar and a seconds backward and forward?

thanks

asafko
Employee
Employee

@ad91arawi

Hello! We are currently working on this and you can follow our progress in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1778801

You can also turn on "work-in-progress PiP" in Firefox Nightly by going to about:config, searching for media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.improved-video-controls.enabled pref and setting it to "true" to see the latest PiP updates (full screen button, hover states, seek buttons, and seek bar).

focus.png

Dad1ao
Making moves
  1. Rotate the small window that pops up as in the title; or rotate the video content of the small window, but the black border can adapt to the content when dragging the mouse to adjust the window size
  2. The sound button on the small window wants to add a control bar that can adjust the volume

1.如题将弹出的小窗进行旋转;或者将小窗视频内容旋转,但拖动鼠标调整窗口大小时黑边可以适应调整内容

2.小窗上的声音按钮希望添加可以调整音量控制条

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: a similar idea has been merged into this thread)

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hello @Dad1ao!

We are looking at adding more granular volume control in the near future, but likely later in 2023.

If you have a moment, can you please tell me more about the first request? I want to make sure I understood correctly what problem we need to solve.

ijdbuser

The problem is without seek p-i-p is not useful for me. I want to pop out a video to watch a lecture or some online tutorial and make notes in something like OneNote. However often I would need to seek previous section of a video to understand material which currently requires me to reopen browser page, close the pop-out, seek the position, reopen the picture-in-picture, hide the browser window.

Araxeus
Strollin' around

It's been said on bugzilla that there aren't any plans to implement a volume slider ??

> Volume can be adjusted via arrows up/down keys and, unfortunately, there are no immediate plans to work on the volume slider for Picture-in-Picture.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1580095#ct-4

What is going on?

knuppi

Please add a next button which skips to the last frame of the video. Video playing sites like YouTube would then play the next video in the queue.

It's very annoying to always have to find my YouTube tab and manually skip to the next video.

TYIA

conrad
Strollin' around

@asafkoUsing the about:config setting on 111.0.1. I'd also be interested in a volume slider but aside from that this is a huge improvement over the previous, limited layout!

I'm not sure what the best way to implement it would be and I don't know if anyone else would care, but have you considered adding the ability to "replace" existing video players with the popup player layout? There are a lotta sites out there with absolutely terrible video players over HTML5 video and it'd be awesome if I could set per-site whether or not to favor the Firefox video controls over the site's native controls (if the site is supported).

conrad
Strollin' around

@asafkoOh, and if there was anything else I'd add to it: add the other things that can be accessed via right-clicking on HTML5 video (playback speed, loop/repeat toggle... save video as?). I'd definitely use all of those.