cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound from YouTube videos running Firefox on Windows WSL2 Ubuntu

jakeffc
Making moves

I am running WSL2 Ubuntu on Windows 11. I have installed 3 web browsers to run on WSL2 Ubuntu. The outputs from these browsers is being directed to Display 0:0 which is effectively using the WSLG Display Manager. I have configured pulseaudio to run on Windows 11 as a service and direct it output to 172.19.16.1 which is the Ethernet adapter vEthernet (WSL) which routes the ouput from pulseaudio to linux distributions running on WSL2. Please explain why when I run both the Ubuntu linux microsoft-edge web browser app and the Ubuntu linux google-chrome web browser app I am able to listen to sound when running YouTube videos on Ubuntu. However when I run both the Ubuntu linux firefox web browser app I am not able to listen to sound when running YouTube videos on Ubuntu.

This is the response from ChatGPT which does not solve my problem.

The reason you are able to listen to sound when running YouTube videos on the Ubuntu Linux Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome web browser apps but not on the Ubuntu Linux Firefox web browser app could be due to differences in how these browsers handle audio playback within the WSL2 environment.

Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome: Both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome have built-in support for using the Windows audio subsystem, which allows them to play audio directly through the Windows audio service. This means that when you run these browsers on WSL2 Ubuntu, the audio output is seamlessly routed through the Windows audio system and then back to your Ubuntu environment via the configured pulseaudio setup. As a result, you can hear the sound from YouTube videos.

Firefox: On the other hand, Firefox in the Ubuntu Linux environment might not have the same level of integration with the Windows audio subsystem. It may rely on the PulseAudio sound server within the Ubuntu environment for audio playback. In this case, the audio output from Firefox is sent to PulseAudio, but since the pulseaudio setup is configured to route audio to the Windows environment, it may not be able to successfully play the sound back to your Ubuntu environment, resulting in no audio when playing YouTube videos.

To troubleshoot this issue with Firefox, you can try the following steps:

Ensure that PulseAudio is configured correctly in your Ubuntu Linux environment and that it is properly connected to the Windows audio service.
Check the audio settings in Firefox and make sure the correct audio output device is selected.
Verify that the audio is not muted or turned down in Firefox or in the system volume settings within Ubuntu.
Update Firefox to the latest version to ensure you have the most up-to-date audio playback support.
If the issue persists, you may need to explore alternative solutions or seek further assistance from the Firefox support community or forums.
It's worth noting that audio support within WSL2 can be complex and may vary depending on the specific configurations and software versions in use.

0 REPLIES 0