cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
probbins914

I would like to have the ability to add more than 4 rows. They're quite convenient but I need more 🙂

23 Comments
saurus

More Shortcut Websites in Home Page

I think this would be better for everybody involved. I don't think it really messes with the minimalistic style this app is going for because you can just choose not to have it, but having it would definitely speed up the workflow of many people including me. Removing the limit entirely would be a good move, or be able to add folders for the shortcuts to be able to organize the frequently visited websites better, just like how bookmarks work.

Rhonda1
Making moves

It's possible to add more rows of shortcuts. I've done it before by following instructions I found with a Google search. I cannot find the same advice now. It's really simple. Go to config and change a 4 to a higher number. I just cannot remember the line in config that requires the change.

Rhonda1
Making moves

RENRAKU has it exactly. Thank you RENAKU.

Type about:config into your address bar and hit enter.

This will take you to a Warning page. Click the box that says "Accept the Risk and Continue".

The next page has another warning.  There is a search box there, put the following in that box. "browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows" without the quotation marks.

Or, you can click "show All". That will take you to a very long list. It's alphabetized so you can easily scroll it down to, "browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows" You will see the numeral "4" right there. Over to the right side there is a "pencil" icon. Click on that to edit. Delete the "4" and replace it with the number you want. The pencil icon will change into a check mark icon. Click on that and you are done. I have tried "6" and I have tried "8". Both of those work.

Vulpes_Ignis
Strollin' around

Alas this fix is not for the android version of Firefox for which the thread was originally created. AFAIK about:config does nothing on mobile

arabiccoffee

Please add more than 4 lines of saved sites in a new tab

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

A quick heads up...

Justine, a Firefox Product Manager, is hosting a discussion thread here on Mozilla Connect asking for feedback to improve the Firefox new tab / homepage. And you're all invited (of course) - check it out and add your thoughts via this link: Share Your Thoughts on the Home / "New Tab" Page! 🖥️ [thread 2] 

It's a great opportunity to share ideas and communicate directly with the team working on this feature.

Hope to see ya there 🙌

ACS
Strollin' around

Don't make rows. Add the ability for the user to customize the grid size: 4x8, 3x5, 10x1, 1x8, 15x12 etc. Any size within reason

Skisloper

On my PC I use Firefox on a large portrait orientation screen, which only allows me a maximum of 4 rows with 6 tabs in each. On my laptop which is fixed in the landscape display the new tabs page shows a larger total number of tabs. Why set a maximum number of rows as low as 4 when I could happily accomodate twice or even three times as many rows on my large screen without any need to reduce the size of the icons. With my PC screen there would also be quite enough room for say 8 tabs per row, again without any need to reduce the size of the icons. Not only does it seem as the focus these days is now on how things look on a small mobile phone screen, but even less attention seems to be given to the portrait display mode compared to landscape, despite the fact that having the screen this way round often gives a much better display both for documents and for web browsing.

Marty79

Firefox new tab page

It would be nice if you could add more favorite web pages on the Firefox new Tab page, and it would also be nice if you could customize the background on this page with a picture from my hard drive.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)