cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox security breaks Norton Password Manager Add-on - Severe

boococp
Making moves

Using Firefox 98.0 64-bit on MacOS Monterey 12.3.
It is not possible to sign into the Norton Password Manager Firefox extension or to the My Norton Account site from Firefox because Firefox will not allow the add-on to authenticate the user (see attached screenshot):

CleanShot 2022-03-11 at 17.32.53@2x.png

Opening a new window gives the same result so that one can not proceed to log in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have found that the problem can be corrected disabling the Firefox Private Relay extension, which appears to be conflicting with the Norton extension in the login dialogue.

If the Firefox Private Relay extension is disabled, the Norton Password Manager set up and sign in works fine.

However, this does appear to mean that Firefox private relay has to be turned off to all sites, because there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it for only a specific site.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lovelyjubbly
Making moves

I just tried the extension and I think this might be happening if you have "Enhanced Tracking Protection" set to "Strict" or "Custom".  Could you check your Firefox settings?  When I set it to Strict/Custom, I got the same error message, and when I set it back to Standard, it worked again.

That said, I don't think this may be a blocker for the login.  The login form is on the right hand side (Username/Email), and the big empty space on the left is just supposed to be showing a welcome message.  Try logging in anyway.

lovelyjubbly_0-1647085517516.png

boococp
Making moves

Tracking protection was already set to standard for all sites.

I've tried turning it off entirely and that doesn't make any difference and I've also disabled all other Preferences security for the site and domain and that doesn't make any difference either. Neither does completely uninstalling Firefox, restarting and reinstalling it.

It only happens on an 2020 Intel iMac. I am running the same version on a 2022 M1 MacBook Pro and it all works fine there. Both machines on Monterey 12.3.

I am wondering if it is a MacOS issue.

I have found that the problem can be corrected disabling the Firefox Private Relay extension, which appears to be conflicting with the Norton extension in the login dialogue.

If the Firefox Private Relay extension is disabled, the Norton Password Manager set up and sign in works fine.

However, this does appear to mean that Firefox private relay has to be turned off to all sites, because there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it for only a specific site.