Making moves

After installing Firefox updates, sometimes even just launching Firefox,

my disk I/O (windows 10) jumps to 100% - with most of the usage

being two processes of Firefox (there are anywhere between 8 - 12

processes running no matter where I set the max limit to). Been doing

this since being in the "90's" releases. Nothing I have seen or tried

as solutions work. I just simply have to wait for 5 minutes or more

just to use my System, since it's essentially "locked" until Firefox

"calms" down. Any ideas? Time to move to Chrome?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I completely uninstalled Firefox and all related components (again), then re-installed - has the same problems. Finally came up with a fix however - went to Chrome... Importing bookmarks, settings, passwds, etc. was easy. Runs great with no issues. Shame, always supported FF & Moz, but this has been going on too long with apparently no fix in sight since many FF upgrade releases  have been installed with the same issue continuing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jscher2000
Contributor

This is after the program files are updated, when you start using Firefox? It sounds like some settings/data files might be getting updated/reorganized or cleaned.

Do you have Firefox set to clear history when it closes? This sometimes doesn't complete and is finished when Firefox starts back up.

As an experiment, you could try disabling the disk cache. This assumes you have good bandwidth on your internet connection. These are the steps:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.cache.disk.enable and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false

Not necessarily after doing an update. Does same thing almost whenever I launch FF

right after I start the machine (Win 10). Don't see why I would have to change any

settings from their default. Just a standard machine: Win 10, Norton, etc. This issue

with FF seemed to start somewhere in the v90's releases. Can't tie it down any

closer to that. Even did an uninstall and re-install before with no change. BTW,

see an awful high memory use at times, and 8-11 processes running. Only two

of those seem to consume large amount of disk I/O. BTW, Edge runs without issue...

firefoxOG
Making moves

I have the same problem. I also use Norton. Firefox is consistently using the whole disk when its running.

I completely uninstalled Firefox and all related components (again), then re-installed - has the same problems. Finally came up with a fix however - went to Chrome... Importing bookmarks, settings, passwds, etc. was easy. Runs great with no issues. Shame, always supported FF & Moz, but this has been going on too long with apparently no fix in sight since many FF upgrade releases  have been installed with the same issue continuing.